Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GPS for an ATV

the side of the tree with the most moss is usually north

Old 09-09-2008, 11:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS for an ATV

I would recommend Garmin.

I have a 76csx. I think it is pretty similar to the 60 except maybe a touch more memory and floats.

I went with the Garmin mount, and cig lighter plug.

Anyhow, I'd suggest going with something with a color screen that accepts bigger memory chips. The internal compass and altimiter are also nice (so you don't have to be moving for it to know which way you are facing). Size wise, I wouldn't want to go much smaller to be able to see it while riding, nor would I want something much larger when it comes to mountain biking or hiking...

Old 09-10-2008, 02:04 PM
Pro Rider
Default GPS for an ATV

you guys rely on to much technology ..

Old 09-11-2008, 04:48 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default GPS for an ATV

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: kukerdan

you guys rely on to much technology ..</end quote></div>

It's more accurate than guessing where you are by the wind or stars. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I see GPS as being a backup, not the main thing I use to figure out where I am. If you depend on it like a crutch you're screwed when the batteries fail. I think it's better to just turn it on and verify what you think you know already. Sometimes I use it to see if the trail matches the map but I almost never use it to navigate. When I do, one of the most useful things for me is when I'm riding unfamiliar trails I can hit "Go To" truck and know exactly how far and which direction. Then I know if I have enough gas to keep going or not, and I don't have to backtrack.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:48 AM
Pro Rider
Default GPS for an ATV

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: wildwest1011

I love my garmin 60csx

Its waterproof, has expandable memory, I have Topo 08 and NA city Nav 09 on mine. Works great for trail and the road.</end quote></div>

I second that! I love my Garmin 60cx, I have topo 08 and will SOON (hint hint Wild) have city Nav 09 [img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img]

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: kukerdan

you guys rely on to much technology ..</end quote></div>

Yup I do.. but I love the fact that I can explore new places by mapping out the trails! Its cool to see where you have been on the map after a days ride... Even cooler on my snowmobile... espeically the Day I rode 252 miles in Northern NH [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-17-2008, 05:45 PM
Pro Rider
Default GPS for an ATV

Nah I hear that, I had a garmin Etrex in my car for a while,
Im just bustin *****..

Old 09-17-2008, 05:58 PM
Pro Rider
Default GPS for an ATV

ahaha NOW I see it!

Old 09-19-2008, 11:30 PM
Pro Rider
Default GPS for an ATV

My wife just bought me a Garmin RIno 530 HCx for my birthday. It had a few features that sound like they are going to be worth while. It has an FRS/GMRS radio that allows direct communication with another Rino user up to 14 miles away (line of sight). Other Rino users can also track your GPS position on their own GPS unit. It also has a 7 channel NOAA weather receiver.

I liked the ability for another Rino user to be able to use their GPS to see where I am at. Our family spends a lot of time in the desert with our fifth wheel. It is not uncommon for myself, or myself and our son's to go for a dirt bike ride or an ATV ride, while the wife stays at the fifth wheel. She often worries where we have gone to, so it will be nice for her to be able to check her GPS to see where we are at. And on my solo rides it will be nice to have the capability for someone to find me if I don't get back to camp at the expected time. My wife can just look at her GPS and see if I'm still moving, and on my way back to camp.

DV

Old 01-28-2009, 12:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default GPS for an ATV

Now that you have used the Rino for a little while any updates. I am looking at getting the 530, but want to make sure that it's a good deal.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:56 PM
Range Rover
Default GPS for an ATV

I have a Rino 110 and 520hx and use them on my sleds. Very nice. Will mount on my quad before my long trip.