Full riding gear really necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 06:59 PM
Shapeshifter Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full riding gear really necessary?

Just want some opinions on weather it's really neccessary or not.I just go out with a helmet,gloves,and whatever i'm wearing at the moment

Old 11-03-2008, 07:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

use comon sense. if your hitting jumps especially 40 footers or bigger, then yah probably some padding won't hurt. if you just riding trails casually then your probably good with a helmet and gloves. all depends on what and how you ride!

Old 11-03-2008, 07:35 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems like a nuisance to wear all this stuff, but if it only saves you once in your life, it will be well worth it!

I have always worn a chest protector and MX boots. A few years back, I got the EVS BJ22....which saved me a broken shoulder (shoulder cup cracked, but I didn't). It also has elbow protection, and I also wear knee protection as well.

The new neck braces are going to save a lot of serious injuries...the kind of injuries where you don't just get up off the ground and dust yourself off!

Old 11-03-2008, 07:37 PM
Shapeshifter Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: reconranger

The new neck braces are going to save a lot of serious injuries...the kind of injuries where you don't just get up off the ground and dust yourself off!</end quote></div>

Aren't those the ones they use in nascar?

Old 11-03-2008, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider

I have found that some of the worst crashes happen when you are just toolin' around. It truly is a personal preference whether or not you wear your gear. I always wear all of mine. I ride hard and fast in the trails.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:29 PM
TPR
The Champ

In the dunes I will wear, depending on type of ride and weather, anything from full gear to Shorts and a t-shirt. That's just me, but in the sand I tend not to wear a chest protector all the time. I know I should, but generally don't.

Now in hard pack, it's full gear and if it's hot I zip off the lower legs of my riding pants.

Always wear a helmet, goggles, gloves and boots and my knee brace.

TPR

Old 11-03-2008, 09:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

I had a buddy who was trying to show off for a girl on his motorcycle went for a quick double jump without his chest protector, when he landed his foot came off the peg, with his chest hitting the handle bars breaking his ribs and his rib impaling his heart killing him instantly.

I was never a beliver in riding gear now I try and wear ever piece I can get as once you see a friend die in front of you for something stupid you will deff think twice about what you are doing!

Old 11-03-2008, 10:13 PM
Range Rover

sorry to hear that dodge[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

well i wear a helmet and goggles( only when its cold/dusty)

Old 11-03-2008, 10:14 PM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

To Quote MWQ:

Dress for the crash.......Not the ride. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-03-2008, 10:35 PM
Shapeshifter Rider

My sister's old boyfriend was on his cbr600rr down in indianapolis where they live and he wheelied off of a curb the bike went out from between his legs and he smashed on his back.Back was broken with a couple shattered disks.They told him one inch up his back and his brain stem would have been snapped.Thats why I wear a helmet.Bike was totalled but what scares me is he went to a bike dealer and they told him his credit was so good so he got a ducati 999,and he does'nt wear a helmet.Some people never learn!!I was just wondering if all of that stuff was neccesary.Thanks, Mark

Quick Reply: Full riding gear really necessary?