Oil Change for Cold Weather

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 06:34 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change for Cold Weather

The Honda shop told me to use 10W-40 for the winter so I changed mine yesterday.

58n65

Old 12-19-2008, 10:51 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 58n65

The Honda shop told me to use 10W-40 for the winter so I changed mine yesterday.

58n65</end quote></div>

How cold is it where you ride???? Do you live in Florida???

If you look at your owner's manual, 10W40 is the warmest weather oil they spec. Like I said, sure you can do a cold start with 10W40 down into the teens, but is that really the best idea when you could run a thinner oil and stay in the MIDDLE of the recommended range for the oil you are running. It doesn't make sense to push the extremes of the recommended operating range???

Old 12-20-2008, 10:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

Iam here in eastern canada where the winter temps are averaging -10 to -20 most of the time.What oil would you recommend for my honda trx350fm fourtrax 4x4.Iam having problems starting in cold weather and hoping by changing to lighter oil it may help.

Old 12-20-2008, 11:48 AM
Range Rover

Another one for you recon, I park my machines inside, so doesn't that mean the oil will be warm (the garage is heated) and it won't matter if it's thicker and won't need to heat up?

Old 12-20-2008, 01:18 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Parked in a heated garage it should start up like summer time. The first number 10w-30 dictates how thin the oil can be on cold starts (Lower the better) but once at running temp the second number 10W-30 is the thickness the oil stays no matter how hot it is.

Thats why I use 0w-40 all year round. Its flow easily on cold starts yet even on the hottest days its a thicker 40 weight once up to temp.

Old 12-20-2008, 01:27 PM
Red Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: woody64

Iam here in eastern canada where the winter temps are averaging -10 to -20 most of the time.What oil would you recommend for my honda trx350fm fourtrax 4x4.Iam having problems starting in cold weather and hoping by changing to lighter oil it may help.</end quote></div>

I think if you look at your owner's manual, the thinnest oil it specs will be 5W30. You will be way better off if you can find an ester synthetic....Maxima 530MX is the bomb, but you will probably have trouble finding it and it is expensive. My second choice would be Klotz. Maybe look for some Maxima Premium or Honda GN4 from a dealer, which are (unfortunately) petroleum based, if you can't find anything else.

Old 12-20-2008, 01:31 PM
Red Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: murox

Another one for you recon, I park my machines inside, so doesn't that mean the oil will be warm (the garage is heated) and it won't matter if it's thicker and won't need to heat up?</end quote></div>

You are way better off (!), but once you are outside in the cold the same rules still apply. An oil change takes only minutes......

Old 12-20-2008, 01:32 PM
Red Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: TLC

Parked in a heated garage it should start up like summer time. The first number 10w-30 dictates how thin the oil can be on cold starts (Lower the better) but once at running temp the second number 10W-30 is the thickness the oil stays no matter how hot it is.

Thats why I use 0w-40 all year round. Its flow easily on cold starts yet even on the hottest days its a thicker 40 weight once up to temp.</end quote></div>

Run what your owner's manual specs folks!!! Different engines will need different viscosities, depending on their individual designs. There is no such thing as a one size fits all, all season oil.

Old 12-20-2008, 01:37 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

OIL Facts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>An oil sold as 10w-40 is no thicker than 10 weight oil under Winter (10w) conditions, meaning below freezing. The 40 means it is no thinner than 40 weight oil at 212° Fahrenheit. So, the first number tells us the performance of the oil at or below the temperature of freezing water, and the second number tells us the performance at the temperature of boiling water. The chemicals added to the oil to accomplish this are called Viscosity Index Improvers (VIIs). </end quote></div>

In theory a 0w-40 oil will beat out a 10w-30 in both winter and summer.

Old 12-20-2008, 07:21 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: reconranger

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 58n65

58n65</end quote></div>

How cold is it where you ride???? Do you live in Florida???

If you look at your owner's manual, 10W40 is the warmest weather oil they spec. Like I said, sure you can do a cold start with 10W40 down into the teens, but is that really the best idea when you could run a thinner oil and stay in the MIDDLE of the recommended range for the oil you are running. It doesn't make sense to push the extremes of the recommended operating range???</end quote></div>

Actually I live in South Mississippi so it's just as hot here as Florida....except last week when it snowed....and in the upper 70s this week....Oh Well!!!

58n65

Quick Reply: Oil Change for Cold Weather