ATV Security

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 07:56 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV Security

My quad was stolen in Baja and the thieves cut a Kryptonite cable with a cold chisel and a barbell weight. I would not bother with a Kryptonite product again.

Thieves then drove my quad away while being chased by a neighbor. I read about relocating the fuel shutoff, a good idea. Does anybody have any other suggestions for disabling the quad during long term non useage???

Had an airplane stolen a few years ago and as a result, I don't have much faith in locks. I now replace a fuel line with a duplicate but one that is filled with epoxy. This has worked at least once since.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:32 AM
Pro Rider
Default ATV Security

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>I hope your not speaking from experience. </end quote></div>

No I am not speaking form experience, that's just what I thought of when I read the post. Running out the door with nothing on in the middle of the night with a shot gun and a moving target. It would be funny to watch.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:56 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ATV Security

I agree with those that said insurance is the best way to save your butt......... A great lock cannot hurt, but insurance is the only way to be sure you don't end up making payments on an ATV you don't have.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:29 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Default ATV Security

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Floatflyer

My quad was stolen in Baja and the thieves cut a Kryptonite cable with a cold chisel and a barbell weight. I would not bother with a Kryptonite product again.

Thieves then drove my quad away while being chased by a neighbor. I read about relocating the fuel shutoff, a good idea. Does anybody have any other suggestions for disabling the quad during long term non useage???

Had an airplane stolen a few years ago and as a result, I don't have much faith in locks. I now replace a fuel line with a duplicate but one that is filled with epoxy. This has worked at least once since.</end quote></div>

Your mistake, not theirs!!! They rate their products on the package, and the cables are not high on the list. My biddies use cables, and one of them got his bikes stolen one night at Pismo....no surprise there.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:36 PM
no1
Trailblazer
Old 01-28-2009, 10:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default ATV Security

Reconranger: Thanks for the sympathetic ear. Your useage of Bold highlights on my post give emphasis where none was intended. I probably should have said I would not use Kryponite products or any other lock system exclusively. Experience has shown that all locks are relatively easy to defeat by a determined thief.

I am now more interested in hidden defenses that thieves can't easily find and if they do, can't do anything about it. So if anybody has some constructive suggestions, please share. FF

Old 01-30-2009, 10:01 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default ATV Security

Anyone have any experience using a tie-down like this? I'm going to be using my pickup to transport my atv, just wondering if these are as good as advertised.

http://www.laguarddog.com/content.asp?CatId=222

Old 01-30-2009, 11:12 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default ATV Security

check out this video. I think I may go with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...tent.asp?ContentId=549

Old 01-30-2009, 02:35 PM
Pro Rider
Default ATV Security

Reconranger: Thanks for the sympathetic ear. Your useage of Bold highlights on my post give emphasis where none was intended. I probably should have said I would not use Kryponite products or any other lock system exclusively. Experience has shown that all locks are relatively easy to defeat by a determined thief.

I am now more interested in hidden defenses that thieves can't easily find and if they do, can't do anything about it. So if anybody has some constructive suggestions, please share. FF</end quote></div>

Recon is the king of the bold and the !! just let it go like water off a ducks back if you spend enough time on here you will notice.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:58 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Default ATV Security

I am now more interested in hidden defenses that thieves can't easily find and if they do, can't do anything about it. So if anybody has some constructive suggestions, please share. FF</end quote></div>

I had a Ford Bronco plow truck that had a secret fuel pump shut off switch. The guy I bought it from left the keys in it all year around, so to stop potential thieves he put in a fuel pump killer........ You could turn the key all day but it would never start if that switch was off....

I've heard of people doing things like that with ATVs too. But in the case of a sport ATV two guys can just pick it up and carry it away....... which is why I always block in my sport quads with my Rancher 4x4. No two people are going to carry away the Rancher to get to one of the sport quads.

Quick Reply: ATV Security