No one ever told me that ridding and ATV can be dangerous?

Old 03-24-2009, 02:59 PM
Shapeshifter Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No one ever told me that ridding and ATV can be dangerous?

Was pulling a wheelie friday(I'm a kid give me a break) gave it way tooooo muuuuch gas and fell off the back of it and hit on my lower back really hard,My dad is 56 and rides my quad all the time with no problems.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:12 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: papahouse

First of all this post makes me mad, at 50 plus years of age you should know anything with 4 wheels and a motor can be dangerous. Common sense would tell you to not hit a mud hole at a fast speed. A question would be have you taken the ATV Safety Institute Rider Safety Course? Don't say nobody told you, take some responsibility for your own stupidity!!!!</end quote></div>

I think he was knezz was kidding when he wrote the topic. I know of certified instructors that sometimes make a boo boo. Most like to have fun and sometimes things happen. You take some risk no matter what you do. I personally along with others in my club like to mud, there is a certain thrill to getting almost stuck. I also have some water / ice puddles on my land that I like boating around in with the atv. Others on the other hand are content to ride rail grades at 25 mph and be quite content. (BORING)

Old 03-24-2009, 06:13 PM
Pro Rider

I understand about taking risk, I also mud, go deep, ride the mountains and just trail ride. My point was about taking responsibility for our own actions. BTW I have rolled a quad on the top of a mountain from sheer stupidity and only blamed myself.
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: upnort

First of all this post makes me mad, at 50 plus years of age you should know anything with 4 wheels and a motor can be dangerous. Common sense would tell you to not hit a mud hole at a fast speed. A question would be have you taken the ATV Safety Institute Rider Safety Course? Don't say nobody told you, take some responsibility for your own stupidity!!!!</end quote></div>

I think he was knezz was kidding when he wrote the topic. I know of certified instructors that sometimes make a boo boo. Most like to have fun and sometimes things happen. You take some risk no matter what you do. I personally along with others in my club like to mud, there is a certain thrill to getting almost stuck. I also have some water / ice puddles on my land that I like boating around in with the atv. Others on the other hand are content to ride rail grades at 25 mph and be quite content. (BORING)</end quote></div>

Old 03-24-2009, 07:31 PM
Pro Rider

I understand about taking risk, I also mud, go deep, ride the mountains and just trail ride. My point was about taking responsibility for our own actions. BTW I have rolled a quad on the top of a mountain from sheer stupidity and only blamed myself.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: upnort

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] sad face for you, not the accident but the wineing. take a chill pill dude, were only shareing horror stories and oops's

I think he was knezz was kidding when he wrote the topic. I know of certified instructors that sometimes make a boo boo. Most like to have fun and sometimes things happen. You take some risk no matter what you do. I personally along with others in my club like to mud, there is a certain thrill to getting almost stuck. I also have some water / ice puddles on my land that I like boating around in with the atv. Others on the other hand are content to ride rail grades at 25 mph and be quite content. (BORING)</end quote></div></end quote></div>

Old 03-24-2009, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider

I turned 49 this year and I am going to ride my quad till my body won't let me. I will say this about my age though, I have been humbled considerably since having my current Grizz 700. It has way more power and capability than I have guts! Or am I finally maturing? lol On a more serious note, I think this type of post is a great way for us to share our "near misses" and accidents just as a reminder that we are all in harms way when we are on our quads. Fear and common sense will take you a long way when it comes to ATV's, motorcycles, Jet Skis etc etc etc etc, all the fun stuff. It was about 5 years ago when I had a neighbor that rode alot, and at that time I had just sold my 98 Grizz and had an extra helmet that I didn't need and offered it to him. He said "No, I don't wear those damned things, they are too hot and you can't see worth a crap while wearing them". One week to the day he fell off the back of his Scrambler and his head hit the pavement and he died. His folks were devastated to say the least. He was 32 years old, and IMO old enough to know better.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:16 AM
Pro Rider

iv been riding since i was about 13. now im 28. i first rode a honda 250sx back when i was 13. but it was my neighbors. i just used it a few times. then i got sick of asking to use it so i got a 185s. accadentsiv had in my past are with:

185s
*ran front tire up a tree
*doing donuts in the middle of a field. it flipped, and the foot peg hit my shin, and left a bruzz for about a yr. it was a nice indent of the foot peg to on my shin. that hurt.
*my foot got stuck between the foot peg and rear wheel. i broke the fender, and almost my ankel.

the i got a kawi 250

*i was driving on the county road on the way back from my farm job. and many times iv done this. i drove thought the ditch many times at 20mph with out any problems. untell one day when i decided to go thought the ditch. but there was a drift. thought it would be fun. i got half way though. then the front wheels sunk. the atv stoped dead. the back wheels picked up did a revese wheele. but didnt stop. it kept going. next thing i knew i was flying off forward into the snow bank. the grab bar then came down and hit the back of my head. think i wa out for a few min in the ditch with the wheeler ontop of me. then i woke up and after a few min got the wheeler off. checked my head. fliped the wheeler over. started it and whent home. if i rember i think i had a head ake for about a week. that hurt.

*was in a gravel pit. me and a few buddys were making jumps, and driving up and down the pits. well one day we were making a jump in the middle of the pit. an up side and a down side. trying to see who could go the farthest. and making the up side and down side frther apart. i dont rember who won. but think i quit before i got hurt. well later that week i whent back and decided to try it. i got the speed up. jumped almost made it and hit the back side of the down side jump. the front hit just the tip of the top of the jump. thus my face kept going right into the handel bars. the front end shot up. but i did stay on the wheeler suprising to me. i bit my toung, my teeth slamed togetther, i had a cut on my nose and forehead.

then i got a polaris sportsman 335

*buddys were going up and down a differnt pit. they dared me to do it. well it was more than i could handel and couldnt make it up. on the was back down backwards. i lost control and it fliped on its side. but i caught it. and almost broke my wrist. i think i did sparin it. because it did hurt for awhile.

my new 08 sportsman.

*accedent free so far.

iv never broken nothing, but i have come close. i know al the riskes. i try to ride responsably. you either learn your self or from other peoples stupity. i dont want to spend money on doctor bills or fixing my wheeler. the doctors get enought money the way it is. if you dont know how to ride you should take a class. or start on a flat dry suface, at a slow speed tell you et the feel. if you do something dumb. dont blame the atv. or the mfg. these are the reasons for all the warning decals on anything. since you know there only on there beause someone decided to try it, then tell the company how was i supose to know. then they sue.... if i was a judge for these cases. id laugh, and say "next case". its also like the people who leave there 8yr old driving a full size atv, and the kid hurts there self then blames the atc company. thats not right!!!!! if you leave a kid drive a full size atv and they get hurt. its your own fault. not the atv mfg. but those who are older. should know better. its just like driving a car, or a bike, or any motorized 2-6 wheeled things. you think you may be in control. but all it takes is one thing, or not paying attention, not knowing what your doing to screw your whole life up... if you dont get hurt. try to learn from it. i have and wont do things like that again.

chuck

Old 03-25-2009, 04:18 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with papahouse on riding responsible and that atv's or anything we do has it's danger's even getting in and out the shower is dangerous , getting in your car/truck to drive to work get's more dangerous every day !

I've had 4 accident's in the 20 yrs i've been riding quad's (all my own fault ) i bought my first quad in feb. 89' and the last accident i had was in 1991 , since then i've awakened and smelled the coffee and haven't had any mishap's since ( knock on wood ) but i've not forgotten the stupid thing's that caused these wreak's ; at the age of 55 yrs old soon to be 56 yrs old april 15th this year i've learned that a trail system i rode yesterday can changed like fallen tree's from storm's so i go over the trail's i ride slow each and everytime i ride first before i start riding aggressively !

And when i ride with someone who take's off ahead of me i catch up with them as fast as my quad will go to stop them and explain the rule's i demand when anyone ride's with me , i saved my cousin's life one summer day when we were riding some wooded trail's we had riden just the day before ; he had alway's let me lead the way and alway's had in the past lagging way behind me making me have to stop and wait on him to catch up with me !

But for some reason he passed me and was opening up this quad to blow the soot out of it , i had to open my old 89' Honda TRX350FM Foreman 4x4 wide open yelling at the top of my lung's to get him to stop ; he was a little irretated at first for me stopping him he thought i just wanted him to follow me so he would have to eat my dust !

But i told him i wanted to ride over the trail's slow first because there had been pulp wooding going on since the last time we had ridden these trail's even though we had ridden them the day before , so he said ok you lead the way and we hadn't gone a hundred yard's when we entered a sharp curve that we would use to powerslide around them because it was so much fun ; when we turned this curve there was a small pine tree that had been knocked down by a larger tree !

This small tree had been sheared off at the trunk about 3 feet from the ground and the sharp point of the broken down tree was sticking out in the middle of the road , if i hadn't been able to stop him in time he would've been impaled through his chest and his quad would've kept going with him hanging with his feet swinging in the air ; there would've been no saving his life that day and after about 30 minute's he regained his exposure enough to tell me that he would alway's let me or whoever he was riding with lead the way from that day on !

These are just a few horror storie's i could pass on to everyone on the forum's , some i've seen first hand and alot more that i've heard from my brother and freind's in the years since i got my first atv ; sorry for the long reply but if it save's just one life or one of a freind or relative or life altering injury then i'm sure anyone won't mind the long read !

So have fun with your quad's , cycle's and all UTV's be safe thread lightly if not for yourself ; for your loved one's and other rider's you might meet on the trail's you ride !........

Old 03-25-2009, 09:01 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: knezz

I'm new to ATV-ing. I had my first (hopefully only) crash on Sunday. I was coming up to some mud and my Predator seemed to slow down to a crawl upon hitting the water. Then it got too much traction after the mud then went airborne about 5'. The Predator then veered right towards the woods and brush. I remember coming down and traveling about 5' to find myself thrown off and lying in the brush.

I laid there for a few gathering my senses - getting over the shock of it all. I was blessed enough not to bang my head (of course I was wearing a helmet - DOT & Snell rated. I never leave home without it.). I did hurt both thighs (from the top of the knee caps to the upper part of my thighs) and my left hip. I now have hips like a girl as it swelled up. The bruises came from the sudden stop of the Predator which through me into the brush. As I ascended my thighs rubbed against the handle bars.

As for the Predator - some of the plastics are twisted, the handle bars are bent, front grab bar is bent and two flat tires on the left hand front and back. It did start with no problem. That's only a visual assessment. I will take it to have someone look at it.

I'm looking forward to getting everything squared away and getting back on it. I didn't tell the wife as I would really hear it if I did.

My thoughts are what is a man - almost 50 year old doing riding an ATV?????????

I'm just curious - how many of you have had mishaps in the last 12 months?</end quote></div>

First off, the learning curve is pretty steep! My experience is that beginners have the accidents, and once one gets some experience the accident rate goes down to virtually nothing. Of course, anyone can have a feak accident at any time, but these are very rare with experienced riders. So, you have nobody to blame but yourself. Don't cop out and blame the terrain or the quad...it was your own inexperience!!! And, be thankful you were on a light sport quad, and not some 600+ pound utility clunker!

As for age, the absolute best riders I know are the older ones! They make the teenagers look like a bunch of ametures. If you are feeling your age, ask yourself if it is because you have not taken care of yourself? Ditch the tobacco and the booze or any drugs (if you use these), and start doing strength training and cardio exercise....works wonders for me!!!

Old 03-25-2009, 04:39 PM
Trailblazer

Old 03-25-2009, 04:44 PM
Trailblazer

Lighten up.

The title was "A JOKE". As you read my post I wasn't complaining. I'm just making light of my situation and wanted to share.

Ask Lance Armstrong if he took a bike safety course.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No one ever told me that ridding and ATV can be dangerous?