No one ever told me that ridding and ATV can be dangerous?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 08:05 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No one ever told me that ridding and ATV can be dangerous?

I'm new to ATV-ing. I had my first (hopefully only) crash on Sunday. I was coming up to some mud and my Predator seemed to slow down to a crawl upon hitting the water. Then it got too much traction after the mud then went airborne about 5'. The Predator then veered right towards the woods and brush. I remember coming down and traveling about 5' to find myself thrown off and lying in the brush.

I laid there for a few gathering my senses - getting over the shock of it all. I was blessed enough not to bang my head (of course I was wearing a helmet - DOT & Snell rated. I never leave home without it.). I did hurt both thighs (from the top of the knee caps to the upper part of my thighs) and my left hip. I now have hips like a girl as it swelled up. The bruises came from the sudden stop of the Predator which through me into the brush. As I ascended my thighs rubbed against the handle bars.

As for the Predator - some of the plastics are twisted, the handle bars are bent, front grab bar is bent and two flat tires on the left hand front and back. It did start with no problem. That's only a visual assessment. I will take it to have someone look at it.
I'm looking forward to getting everything squared away and getting back on it. I didn't tell the wife as I would really hear it if I did.

My thoughts are what is a man - almost 50 year old doing riding an ATV?????????
I'm just curious - how many of you have had mishaps in the last 12 months?

Old 03-23-2009, 08:19 PM
Pro Rider

None (KNOCK ON WOOD) in the last 12 months but i did snap both my wrists at the same time in a quaddin accident. Was riding thru a hay field that hadnt been cut in about 10yrs lol needless to say it was about chest high N i was rippin around and smacked into a boulder that took me from about 35 mph to 0 lickety split. Yeah the wife wasnt happy about that one.

Glad to hear you have no serious injuries other than from the sounds of it your pride. Good luck with gettin the machine all fixed up and back on it.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider

Lot of people more than 50 ride them. Will be 50 in may here & still going strong. Did lose control on a slippery curve a few years back. Stuff goes in slow motion when busting thru the woods even that big popular tree came at me in slow motion enough that I leaned to the side & got ejected past it rather into it. Legs & stomach were pretty bruised, nothing busted... on me. About 1k to machine plastic, a-arm, ball joint. Did limp it 8 miles back.

OH YA BTW. Riding an ATV can be dangerous.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider

wow, your new to ATVing and got a predator? im not trying to sound like an Ahole but i wouldnt jump on a 525 right off the bat, your not one of us crazy-kids lol! but atleast you didnt wheelie yourself back on your head and break your collar bone in the process. (my friend did that on a raptor 660) First time rideing it too...

but ya sometimes things like water holes and other obsticals are unknown dangers if you dont have alot of experiance. And sometimes its accidents like sidewinder500's; you just dont know if a rock or stump or other obstical is there. thats half the thrill of ATVing, the narrow escapes!

luckaly i havent had an accident more serous than bending my handelbars. I try not to ride beyond my limits as well, and that helps. Glad to know that your ok, and 50 isnt old for ATVing, i ride with a 75year old.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:12 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was hauling down a dirt road at a pretty good pace when I hit some whoops on the back side of a hill. The quad bounced up in the air and I flew off. I landed on my side and the impact of my arm in my side cracked a couple ribs. I had to wait for help to come along and tip the quad back over. Now I try to be more careful about what I can't see.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:33 PM
Pro Rider

"the handle bars are bent, front grab bar is bent and two flat tires on the left hand front and back. "

Sounds like a GREAT excuse to buy aftermarket stuff! Some nice Pro Taper bars/grips, a nice aftermarket bumper, as well as some sweet new wheels/tires. LOL. Seriously though, good to hear it was nothing major.

I burnt my arm on my pipe during the summer.... I also took a dirtbike for a spin (before I knew how to ride a manual) and kinda flipped it on an asphalt road (I was wearing my DOT/Snell approved helmet of course) and my elbow has a really gross looking scar on it...other than that nothing yet.... I just got my Suzuki LT-R 450 in November, I haven't had any accidents yet... knock on wood!

Old 03-24-2009, 08:54 AM
Pro Rider

i have many family members over 65 years old who still ride. no one i know has had any sort of accident recently. its all about knowing your limits, as well as the machine's capabilities.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:24 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just crashed Saturday........ went into a sharp turn in the woods way too quick, hit some mud, then hit some tree, then hit my butt on the ground as I high-sided off the right hand side........ think I might have done some damage to my already torn rotator-cuff........ I usually crash at least once a year, luckily so far nothing major just a few bumps&bruises...... all part of the game.......

ATV riding can get you hurt but so can any sport..... used to work with a guy that destroyed his ankle and knee playing tennis.....

I once saw a this guy named Happy get run over by a VW Bug playing golf......oh wait that was a movie...

Old 03-24-2009, 11:05 AM
Pro Rider

First of all this post makes me mad, at 50 plus years of age you should know anything with 4 wheels and a motor can be dangerous. Common sense would tell you to not hit a mud hole at a fast speed. A question would be have you taken the ATV Safety Institute Rider Safety Course? Don't say nobody told you, take some responsibility for your own stupidity!!!!

Old 03-24-2009, 01:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Well, the GF tipped my Rincon on its side, practically stopped, but messed up her shoulder pretty good.

This winter we flew down to Arizona where her parents snow bird. A bunch of retired people ride from the RV park, and they hit some tough trails.

After we got home, her dad was in a collision with a Rodeo, and ended up with a fractured hip.

I've flipped, crashed, and smashed 3 wheelers from back in the day, but so far I haven't hurt myself on a 4 wheeler, or even flipped or tipped one.

Anyway, glad your injuries aren't more serious, or permanent.

Quick Reply: No one ever told me that ridding and ATV can be dangerous?