Tiger Tail Review

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 04:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Tiger Tail Review

TIGER TAIL PRODUCT REVIEW
By: Mike and Kristin Plourde

When we first got the package, we thought it seemed really heavy. After taking the Tail out of the box, we determined it’s really not that heavy compared to most winches and tow systems you can get out there and it seemed to be extremely well built, and it has to have some weight to it to be able to do it’s job! The Rhino is not only a fun means of transportation, it is also our recovery vehicle at races and any time someone finds their limits in the mud. So, we immediately took it out to the garage to go put it on the Rhino.

When we first looked at the set up we thought, “This will be interesting to get a wrench between the spool and the bottom mounting plate.“ But to our surprise they covered this, the bolts have a collar which drops into the bolt hole and holds it in place. All it took was one wrench on the bottom nut. This process took maybe five minutes. The unit easily slides right into the receiver. At this point the only down fault I have seen was it does not come with a pin to hold it in the receiver, I was required to buy an additional one. Not a big deal but a tiny inconvenience.
Name:  DSCF8149.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  74.4 KB

Eager to try out the Tiger Tail, we headed out to a local ride spot to test it out. Lucky for us as we were unloading the toys someone in an Isuzu Trooper, not meant for the mud, found a mud hole. He managed to bury his front end in the peanut butter-like slop up to the bumper. With the rear tires barely clinging to the surface by inches of hard packed dirt, he was not moving. So we thought this could be the perfect time to test out the Tiger Tail and be of a little assistance. I backed the Rhino up to his vehicle, and found it takes some slack on the rope before the hook will come out of the holder. As soon as the hook was free, it easily extended and retracted. We hooked it up to the Trooper and I slowly pulled forward to fully extend the rope. This being a heck of a first test for the Tiger Tail, I floored the Rhino, spinning the tires on the hard pack. To my amazement , the Rhino started inching forward and before we knew it, he was out of the slop and on to the hard stuff. We unhooked the Tiger Tail and it went right back into it’s housing trouble free.
Name:  DSCF8152.jpg
Views: 1732
Size:  114.5 KB
Name:  DSCF8153.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  182.6 KB

From what we have seen so far, this is an absolutely amazing product. From the first glance of the Tiger Tail we knew it was well built and well thought out. We know that it will definitely come in handy out on the trails and the track. They even put a hole on the main bracket so you can still have a ball for towing on the back of your rig. Great idea! We will definitely recommend it to all of our friends. This is also one of those products that everyone who sees it wants to know all about it.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

Well, that could really come in handy.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:11 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Good review but they are pricey.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:14 PM
Pro Rider

They are a bit expensive but it is very well built. The company gave me one for free to do a review on. I can definitely see it coming in handy again.

They have one for ATVs as well.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Originally Posted by Stoopidbot
They are a bit expensive but it is very well built. The company gave me one for free to do a review on. I can definitely see it coming in handy again.

They have one for ATVs as well.
Do they want a review from someone up here in New England?

Old 09-23-2009, 07:21 PM
Pro Rider

Email the company and ask if you could do a write up/review of their product. The most they can do is say no...

The deal was i had 2 weeks from the time I received it to do a 1 page write-up with 3 pictures and 1 video.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:23 PM
Pro Rider

I almost did one for Gorilla Winches. They came out with a 3,000lbs winch but they wanted an ATV not a UTV to test it on. You usually need machine that is 2 years old or newer.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Was just joking. I like how you did the review. Great description and infomation. The video was great! Pulling out a Trooper gives the TigerTail great credit in my mind.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:57 PM
Pro Rider

Granted the rhino did not pull it unassisted, he was trying to go back but that was still a lot of tension on the Tiger tail. I was definitely spinning the wheels on the Rhino, over 1200lbs of force on that rope.

Thanks

Old 09-24-2009, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
Was just joking. I like how you did the review. Great description and information. The video was great! Pulling out a Trooper gives the TigerTail great credit in my mind.
Spelling errror. Then submission error. Got to wake up today.