Fuel injected ATV getting too much gas? Running very rough!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 07:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel injected ATV getting too much gas? Running very rough!

Hi,
Recently traded for this quad. It's a Cannondale Cannibal 440. It sat for about 1.5 years.
I had it running pretty good, but it would bog down occasionally, now I am having problems with it staying running / running at all.
I've put fresh gas and fuel injector cleaner in.
Getting a new plug and fuel filter tomorrow, but I doubt this is the problem. ( already tested filter )
I am almost sure it is getting too much gas! But it's fuel injected! How would I adjust this? If I unplug the gas lines and let it run after a few seconds it smooths out and runs like new. Put the lines back on it bogs and runs crappy. It idles okay, but when I push the throttle it shuts off.
I smell the exhaust an I can tell it's getting too much gas, I can smell it.

What now?!
Thank you!

Last edited by Cannondale-rider; 06-26-2012 at 07:21 PM. Reason: More info
Old 07-24-2012, 11:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

C-Rider,
I had pretty much the same thing going on with my 03 Cannibal that I recently bought. The problem ended up being the fuel return line from the pressure regulator to the tank. It was completely clogged and deteriorated on the inside and would not let fuel back into the tank. If it can't flow properly back into the tank, it gets forced into the injectors. The thing would foul plugs like crazy and you could smell the gas in the exhaust when it did start.
Pull the seat off and take a look at the tank when you run the starter. You should see some bubbles (on the right side) as the fuel is being blown back into the tank. If you don't see that, the fuel line is probably clogged. I changed that return line and it worked like a champ. Change the other lines as well since they are probably the same age.
I've also heard that the O-rings inside the quick disconnect fittings (female side) can cause problems with fuel flow, but I'm not quite sure.

Anyway, hope this helps.