Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

What happened in the rain?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 10:35 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What happened in the rain?

Left my 06 Linhai 300 out in the rain for a few days to get "rinsed off" and it wouldn't start. Ended up replacing the battery and got it started for a few seconds and then die with and without throttling. Sprayed some carb cleaner and then starter fluid in and was finally able to get it running up to the garage where I let it idle for almost 10 minutes. Thought all was well but it still runs real rough, pops, and stalls out. Almost feels carb/fuel related but it had been running well with 0 issues up to this point. Any ideas or should I just let it dry out for a few days? thanks

Old 06-19-2015, 01:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Probably got some water in the gas or some of the electronics got wet. 8 would start by draining the tank and carb of all the fuel and put in fresh.

Old 06-20-2015, 07:38 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wannabe32
Left my 06 Linhai 300 out in the rain for a few days to get "rinsed off" and it wouldn't start. Ended up replacing the battery and got it started for a few seconds and then die with and without throttling. Sprayed some carb cleaner and then starter fluid in and was finally able to get it running up to the garage where I let it idle for almost 10 minutes. Thought all was well but it still runs real rough, pops, and stalls out. Almost feels carb/fuel related but it had been running well with 0 issues up to this point. Any ideas or should I just let it dry out for a few days? thanks
The sun works wonders in drying electronics out. If you have a compressor, I would remove plastics, blow out anything electronics. Let it dry out in the sun. Drain all gas and oil and put new. If it we're me, I would also remove the carb and remove bowl and clean it all out. General maintenance should get it going again.

I try not to leave my ATV's directly in the rain. Harbor Freight has inexpensive tarps to cover your ATV if it needs to.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:29 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Spray some water proofing ignition spray on every wire and terminal you can see.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TLC
Spray some water proofing ignition spray on every wire and terminal you can see.
Good post, gotta get me some of this. Except, we're pretty dry out here in SoCal and all my toys stay under the patio cover.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

Just left it to dry in my garage but it still is acting up a lot. Need to give it lots of gas to get it going and really rev it in neutral before it will not stall. Even then the engine really hesitates sometimes when attempting to accelerate and will sometimes sputter and backfire before totally bogging down. Sometimes it will recover and sometimes it won't and stalls out. Should I keep trying to get fuel with injector cleaner through or do I need to get to the carb? Where is it and how hard is it to clean out? Thanks!

Old 07-07-2015, 11:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, you need to drain the carb and gas tank, then put in fresh gas. Usually they will have a drain at the bottom of the float bowl, but you may need to remove the bowl. I had one of these issues and didn't completely drain the bowl. It took a lot longer to clear the bad gas than I would have thought.

Hopefully that is your issue because at least it is a cheap fix.