ATV plow winch strap install question

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 08:45 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV plow winch strap install question

Hi, I have a 2013 Sportsman 550 and this will be my first year plowing. I got a eagle front mount plow setup and am all set for this winter but don't want to destroy the new synthetic rope on my Warn winch. I want to use a 2" tow strap instead of the synthetic rope but am unsure how hard it is to change out the rope to the strap. Do you just need to remove the fairlead to install the strap? Is it easy to remove the rope and install something else? I was hoping I would only have to remove the fairlead but wasn't sure how the rope attaches to the drum? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Am not sure as I have an Outlander now. Just wanted to pipe in and say that I used wire cable at the start of last winter plowing. I snapped it twice. I got Warn synthetic line and didn't have any problems with it at all. I plowed most of the winter with the synthetic rope and it didn't seem to be wearing at all.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:04 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
Am not sure as I have an Outlander now. Just wanted to pipe in and say that I used wire cable at the start of last winter plowing. I snapped it twice. I got Warn synthetic line and didn't have any problems with it at all. I plowed most of the winter with the synthetic rope and it didn't seem to be wearing at all.
Good to know about the Warn synthetic. Yea, I don't know what to do because I see people say all sorts of stuff. Some people say it snaps the synthetic in no time, and others say the synthetic holds up great. Maybe it is very dependent on the setup you have.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Originally Posted by mcordani
Good to know about the Warn synthetic. Yea, I don't know what to do because I see people say all sorts of stuff. Some people say it snaps the synthetic in no time, and others say the synthetic holds up great. Maybe it is very dependent on the setup you have.
I got the actual Warn synthetic rope kit. It comes with a fairlead that includes a larger diameter roller on the bottom, so the rope isn't as stressed. All of the synthetic ropes get a fuzzy covering after use but that is normal according to what I've read on the makers' websites. One thing I finally got around to doing towards the end of winter was to install a magnetic switch that came with the plow kit from Can-Am. It uses a magnet that is installed on the plow frame. When the blade is lifted to the point where a switch mounted on the quad frame senses the magnet it cuts power to the winch automatically. Works great. You may want to check to see if you can get that for your quad. It keeps you from trying to raise the plow and causing extra stress on the line.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:47 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
I got the actual Warn synthetic rope kit. It comes with a fairlead that includes a larger diameter roller on the bottom, so the rope isn't as stressed. All of the synthetic ropes get a fuzzy covering after use but that is normal according to what I've read on the makers' websites. One thing I finally got around to doing towards the end of winter was to install a magnetic switch that came with the plow kit from Can-Am. It uses a magnet that is installed on the plow frame. When the blade is lifted to the point where a switch mounted on the quad frame senses the magnet it cuts power to the winch automatically. Works great. You may want to check to see if you can get that for your quad. It keeps you from trying to raise the plow and causing extra stress on the line.
That is a great idea with the magnet cutoff! Seems like someone should sell that as an add on. I'll have to look.

I see I can get a 12' length of 1/4" amsteel plow rope for $25 shipped. That should work great. Will I have a problem putting the 1/4" on my Warn XT30 winch? I know it comes with 3/16". Would think it would still fit though the drum hole fine.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Originally Posted by mcordani
That is a great idea with the magnet cutoff! Seems like someone should sell that as an add on. I'll have to look.

I see I can get a 12' length of 1/4" amsteel plow rope for $25 shipped. That should work great. Will I have a problem putting the 1/4" on my Warn XT30 winch? I know it comes with 3/16". Would think it would still fit though the drum hole fine.
Synthetic doesn't kink as much as the wire rope does. Mine fit fine and I have a 3000 lb. on the Outty. Might be an XT30 too but not 100% on that. Not sure what diameter the cable was that I replaced either. Just know I'm much happier in every aspect with the synthetic.