97 Polaris magnum 425 help

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 05:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Polaris magnum 425 help

OK my polaris magnum ran and drove perfect till today when I tried to sell it.i meet the guy it started up and when I tried to put in gear it just started grinding In high low and reverse. I brought it home and tried it again it went IN all the gears fine in my truck. I met another guy then same thing grinding in gears I got it in my truck shut it off and turned it back on it went in to all no problem then the 3rd time trying all them it went back to grinding. Please help thanks

Old 08-06-2016, 06:31 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If the idle isn't too high,I'd suspect either a belt or rear clutch problem. Rear clutch should stationary for the most part while idling. If it's under pressure from a belt,worn ramp buttons in the rear clutch or even front clutch problems, gear changing would be hard and could cause possible grinding. Another area is the linkage adjustment itself may be off. In neutral remove the two nuts on the ball ends on the shift box arms. Loosen the lock nuts on the ball ends and adjust to where the ends fall in the shift arms with no resistance or pulling.Then tighten the lock nuts.

Old 08-07-2016, 05:15 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default reply to your answer to my magnum shifting problem

OK last night after I posted the question I got a bright idea. Put it in gear when it was off and see what happens well I did and it went right in and drove fine. Then when I tried to get it into neutral it keep by passing it from high to reverse. When I did get it into neutral and tried putting it in gear it grinded

Old 08-07-2016, 07:10 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Jp Lamoreaux
OK last night after I posted the question I got a bright idea. Put it in gear when it was off and see what happens well I did and it went right in and drove fine. Then when I tried to get it into neutral it keep by passing it from high to reverse. When I did get it into neutral and tried putting it in gear it grinded
Again if it shifts ok with the engine off,I'd suspect pressure from the clutches on the gear case. Same thing on creeping issues. People could shift fine with engines off,crank them up and they'd be hard to engage in another gear position while running. I would check the belt and clutches out first on this.If the clutches/belt are ruled out as a problem area then it could very well be a gear box or internal gear case shift fork or sliding dog gear problem.

Old 08-07-2016, 07:15 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default reply to your answer to my magnum shifting problem

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Again if it shifts ok with the engine off,I'd suspect pressure from the clutches on the gear case. Same thing on creeping issues. People could shift fine with engines off,crank them up and they'd be hard to engage in another gear position while running. I would check the belt and clutches out first on this.If the clutches/belt are ruled out as a problem area then it could very well be a gear box or internal gear case shift fork or sliding dog gear problem.
I have the clutch cover off what do I look for here the belt looks good to me how do I check everything if you can give me a number or email address I'll send pictures

Old 08-07-2016, 08:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
OK I was messing with the shifter linkage and when I was shifting I noticed that the piece that comes out of the transmission that the high and reverse linkage connects to moves back and forth a little is that OK or is it my problem

Old 08-07-2016, 10:45 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Tighten everything up and adjust the linkage like I posted previously. If this doesn't help,then pull the clutch cover and check into the clutches and belt. It's just a process of elimination until you find the problem.