ATV with child passenger

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 02:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fortunately, our cottage is in a county you can ride on the shoulder and we go to the UP at least once a year.

Old 04-06-2017, 02:27 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The roads that you can legally ride the shoulder of have speed limits. I know some places it's 20 MPH maximum but don't know if it's the same in other counties. Some towns close to the trails allow you to ride into town on one specific road to get gas even if every other road in the county is closed to ATVs. These links tell you where you can ride and where the trails are. An ORV license ($26.25) is required on eligible county roads, frozen surface of public waters, state forest roads in the Upper Peninsula and eligible national forest roads. An ORV trail permit (an additional $10 for a total of $36.25) is required when operating on designated ORV Trail / Routes and special ORV-use areas. Up until a few years ago there was only one sticker required per vehicle and it was only $16.25 a year, then they made the 2-sticker system and raised the price $20. Unless it changed this year the stickers are good from April 1st until March 31st of the following year. If you have any questions post them in this thread and if I can I'll answer them for you.
DNR - Where to ride
DNR - ORV/ATV Trail Maps

Old 04-06-2017, 03:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
The roads that you can legally ride the shoulder of have speed limits. I know some places it's 20 MPH maximum but don't know if it's the same in other counties. Some towns close to the trails allow you to ride into town on one specific road to get gas even if every other road in the county is closed to ATVs. These links tell you where you can ride and where the trails are. An ORV license ($26.25) is required on eligible county roads, frozen surface of public waters, state forest roads in the Upper Peninsula and eligible national forest roads. An ORV trail permit (an additional $10 for a total of $36.25) is required when operating on designated ORV Trail / Routes and special ORV-use areas. Up until a few years ago there was only one sticker required per vehicle and it was only $16.25 a year, then they made the 2-sticker system and raised the price $20. Unless it changed this year the stickers are good from April 1st until March 31st of the following year. If you have any questions post them in this thread and if I can I'll answer them for you.
DNR - Where to ride
DNR - ORV/ATV Trail Maps

Thank you! We already got our stickers $36.xx x2 atvs. And I was told by a local we can go 25 on county roads but didn't check that to be sure. We only go 10-15mph.