Injury from wheelie

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2001 | 10:59 AM
|
Range Rover

seen this post from a member on another site and thought it may prevent someone else from this happening:
Its 3 am. I just recieved a call from my sister-in-law. Her son was taken to the hospital around 11pm. He was at a party (yes there was drinking involved) and he was on the back of his friends 4 wheeler. His buddy decides to try a wheely in the gravel. The back tires found traction suddenly and went too far back. My nephew was holding on to the rear bar.He will lose 3 of his fingers on his right hand..all but the thumb and pinky. Since he has alcohol in his body they cant operate for 10 hours and since the bones are exposed they cant put local antisthetic(sp) on them. He is in alot of pain. Please remember him in you prayers and please be careful. (I see this stuff being done all the time at our riding area....just never crossed my mind what could happen) He is in the Oklahoma city hospital.
Hope he recovers quickly. This is one reason wheelies on a quad are about as useful as riding without a helmet.

Old 05-01-2001 | 11:26 AM
Range Rover

No, you got it wrong! Drinking and riding an ATV, not that is stupid!! Wheelies don't hurt people, stupid people and alcohol hurt people!

Old 05-01-2001 | 11:46 AM
|
Range Rover

Then tell me, other than on a whoop section or log crossing when is a wheelie needed?

Wheelies are just another way of screwing around, and screwing around usually ends up in injury.

Old 05-01-2001 | 12:17 PM
Range Rover

Riding with 2 people on an ATV is stupid. Read the warning label. Second, drinking and riding is even dumber. It is because of people drinking and not using their head, getting hurt, that we are losing places to ride and people getting sued. Not because of people out to have a nice ride on the weekend. End of discussion.

Old 05-01-2001 | 12:20 PM
Pro Rider

why do we ride quads? because its fun.
why do we jump quads? because its fun.
why do we ride wheelies? because its fun.

I agree with dhenricks, stupid people and alcohol hurt people.

Old 05-01-2001 | 12:22 PM
Range Rover

Thanks, totally agree. We ride, jump, wheelie because it is totally fun. What else is there to do with an ATV? Thanks!

Old 05-01-2001 | 12:49 PM
|
Range Rover

I posted this to raise awareness, not to start a flame war. Have fun yes but please wear proper protective gear (including riding gloves!) and take the time to let someone else who is not thinking, know what might happen.

Old 05-01-2001 | 01:48 PM
Pro Rider

OneDollar.....I see the number one cause of this accident was the stupidity of the driver to attempt a wheelie while they had a passenger. That was extremely inconsiderate of the driver.

There is NOTHING wrong with having fun, riding wheelies, etc.

Old 05-01-2001 | 04:58 PM
Pro Rider

OWWWWWWWW!

That gives me the heebee geebee's

What a bummer.

Old 05-01-2001 | 07:58 PM
Pro Rider

my friend hurt himself doing a wheelie on his tri-moto 125. he had one foot on the grab bar and the other on the peg. well he sucks at wheelies and he slipped off and the grab bar came up while he was going down and smacked him in the stomach or somethin. it turns out it lacerated his spleen and hes lucky to be alive and still riding today.

Quick Reply: Injury from wheelie