Kid's Quads "Safety regulations"

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2001 | 02:35 PM
Pro Rider

I have always viewed the industry recommendations as being based more on the mental maturity of the child rather than their size. No doubt most child-related atv accidents are the result of poor judgement. Still, thousands of adults are hurt each year for the same reason.

Old 10-16-2001 | 04:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Pechmial,
I tried that link but for some reason,I could not access it?I'd like to suggest that you contact ASI [1-949-727-3727]and ask them to give you the phone number of a LOCAL MN ASI instructor?The MN instructor would be full of local MN laws and would be able to answer allmost any questions you should have?As far as I know,no State has manditory CC laws on ATVs.There are certain age restrictions though per differant State.I hope you find the correct answer,

Bill

Old 10-16-2001 | 04:31 PM
|
Pro Rider

Bill,

If you go back to an earlier post, you can click on a link to the MN DNR site and navigate to the PDF file from there.

I'll take your advice on asking an ASI instructor about it. As it happens, I am scheduled for a class this coming Sunday (the 21st) and will take the opportunity to ask him in person. I'll have my son with me (as well as his ATV), though I don't think he'll be taking the class, only watching.

I suspect, however, I already have the "correct" answer, in that children 12-15 simply are not allowed on over 90cc machines. It's not the answer I like, however.

Ok...this one comes from the list of Minnesota Statutes Section: 84.9256

(c) Except for public road rights-of-way of interstate
highways, a person 12 years of age but less than 16 years may
make a direct crossing of a public road right-of-way of a trunk,
county state-aid, or county highway or operate on public lands
and waters, only if that person possesses a valid all-terrain
vehicle safety certificate issued by the commissioner and is
accompanied on another all-terrain vehicle by a person 18 years
of age or older who holds a valid driver's license.

(d) All-terrain vehicle safety certificates issued by the
commissioner to persons 12 years old, but less than 16 years
old, are not valid for machines in excess of 90cc engine
capacity.

Information obtained by performing a search on "all-terrian vehicles" (Note, Hyphen necessary) at this site...

Search Minnesota Statutes 2000

However, I notice from the ATVAM site that there is a bill to change this restriction so that a child between 12 and 16 can ride a larger CC vehicle providing the pass a driving test on the vehicle in question. No news on whether this bill has passed, died or whatever. I'll ask the ASI instructor this as well.

Old 10-16-2001 | 05:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

I walked into my local Honda dealer and was sold a 250 ex as a good quad for my 11 year old and me (Hush Hush). He turned out to be real close with his recommendation.

My two boys, 8 & 11 started slowly and continue to progress. I put the quad in second gear and do not allow shifting (second gear limits the wheelies and speed).

To stop the fighting and third man walking, I looked at minis and bought a 90cc. The quad is small , my elder son will look like a shriner in a year or two. But the power is great. The problem is that the suspension and steering are not what the kids were use to on the 250ex. On day two, my 8 year old, riding on a familiar wooded oval, rode over a small hump and bounced off the trail and into a tree (low speed and he's fine).

Now, for safety reasons, I limit my younger son to the 250 in second gear. My elder son rides the 90 with the knowledge that the bike requires focus and strength to keep it on the trail.

So I must second (or third, fourth) the notion that a medium sized frame with a 90 cc would be truly safer for young riders.

Just goes to show you how stupid some of these highly publicized laws are. Like gun laws where you can't sell a model "a" but it's OK to sell a model "a1" .

Parents need to be parents.

Old 10-16-2001 | 06:50 PM
Pro Rider

You guys need to realise that the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT is the one responsible for setting the age/cc requirements for each manufacturer. Atv safety instructors are taught to follow THOSE guidelines for classroom instruction. Also, every state does and should have their own info pertaining to age/cc requirements for riding on its own state and federal lands...including the need for safety certificats or not. The AMA can use whatever age/cc rules that it likes...and any other organization for that matter. That's where the "man made rules" come into effect. Each dealership is required by the FEDS to adhere to the age/cc policy...or else! In turn, the manufacturers usually threaten to "pull out" of dealerships who get caught bending the rules to get a sale. I have two sons under 12 and disagree with the age/cc limits too...everyone knows it's a joke...but?

ASI Instructor
Editor: PaAtving.com

Old 10-17-2001 | 06:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

EXtreme,
for the most part,I to also disagree with the age/cc recommendations,however,as per agreements/rules by ASI and the instructor,we have to follow them.I also feel that we[ASI] are missing a HUGE portion of the 6-15yr old kids because allmost no one follows[purchases] the age/cc recommendations by the manufacturer,and most instructors dont have 4 small loaners for kids 6-11yrs old[less than 70cc],nor do most instructors have 6 medium loaners[not over 90cc] available for the 12-15 yr old kids.And I really dont like instructing only a few kids for 4 hrs.Since Michigan has no law regarding CC engine size once a kid is 12yrs old,has a training certificate,and is under visual supervision by an adult,there is another LEGAL and recognized ATV training course that is taught here.This guy really instructs alot of the kids that ASI misses because of the age/cc requirements that ASI instructurs MUST follow.I personally like what he's doing,at least the kids dont walk away from training.His training IS approved by the State of Michigan to.

Pechmial,
the way the MN Statutes reads,it appears like no one age 12-15 can ride on anything larger than a 90cc?Be sure to check with your local instructor,perhaps there is something else to this.You'd be SUPRIZED how many parents think that this age/cc recommendation is a law in Michigan?It's NOT!

Bill

Old 10-17-2001 | 03:05 PM
Pro Rider

Gentlemen,

Your thread is one that should stand above all threads!
I too have faced the same problems, Although have not figured out what to do as of yet.
I would like to say it would take industry cooperation to get these children fitted and suited to the correct machines.
If goverment, state or local laws would change (we're not decided on the law part yet) Thier still isn't a variaty of quads to choose from.
I my self devote many hours and days to educating children thruogh hunting, fishing, atving, and motorcycles.
I don't know the answer. For now the xr-80, xr-100, and kx-85 are the childrens choices.
If you ever find a govorning body to prove your point to, I say take them for a ride on one of these three bikes. Because any 250 or 300 atv will have it's hands full with one of these.
I believe maybe a plea to the atva may be the best start.
But above all gentlemen, You are doing all you can (braeking law or not) to better preserve the quality of life and the sculpting of a future of your children.

Old 10-17-2001 | 09:55 PM
Pro Rider

Unfortunatley, I don't think theses crazy regs. are going to chance any time soon. The ATVA is no help. I e-mailed the director (Doug Morris) to find out what was going on the change the rules. He said that the proposal to allow 14 and 15 year olds to ride up to 200cc quads was pretty much dead. Either ride a 90 until your 16 or don't race, and don't ride on public lands in many states. Stupid, but that's the way it is. I guess I'm stuck racing my 250R in non AMA races only until May. Mabey I should go buy a CR500 and take up motocross...

Most of you seem to be on the right track though, just put your kids on a quad that fits them and don't worry about the reccomendations. Also, the rules fo kids riding 90s are rarely enforced on public lands. If the rider fits the bike, and doesn't draw attention to himself, you'll probably be OK.

Old 10-18-2001 | 11:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ed Smith,
I have one more for you.In Michigan,ATVs are defined as 3 or 4 wheeled vehicles powered by an engine size of 50 cc on up to 500 cc displacement.Any 4 wheeler UNDER 50cc and OVER 500cc is an ORV.Since ORVs dont have age restictions in order to operate them in Michigan,any 4 wheeler OVER 500cc is defined as a ORV.And in Michigan,no one under the age of 12 can legally operate an ATV without being on property owned by the parents or gaurdian and a safety training certificate.So guess how you overcome this?Just put your underage kid on a quad OVER 500cc or UNDER 50cc,it than becomes a ORV!Its TOTALLY legal to put little 8yr old Johnny on a 660 Raptor because its defined as a ORV,not a ATV.[Its OVER the 500cc range]as long as he has his ORV certificate and is under visual supervision of an adult.Stupid?You make the call,

Bill

Old 10-19-2001 | 11:13 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

my 9 yr old started on a 50cc when he was 5 and went to a bike for a year and now back to a quad.when we went to look for a new quad we found the 50s and 90s lacking a lot of the things we knew we needed like head lights and reverse.we ride locao trails and there has been times we didnt get back to the truck by dark.and i dont like to have to get off and turn him around when he gets in a tight spot.we ended up with a 125 Yamaha Breeze great trail machine but a shade big but not so that he can handle it.so i think the age requirments are a joke we know what our kids are capable of and what they can do. Brad 1996 Polaris 425 magnum 4x4 1996 Polaris Sportsman 2001 Breeze 1972 FLH Harley

Quick Reply: Kid's Quads "Safety regulations"