Are winches waterproof?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2001, 11:58 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was reading in a Superwinch owners manual the winch it weather resistant but it is not waterproof. I actual took the Superwinch back to get a Warn winch and it won't be in until the end of the week...

So my question is how much water can a winch really handle? Since they are mounted fairly low on ATV's it seems like they would be prone to being fully submursed at times? Do ya have to take extra care for em if they end up under water?

Ooooh, and lets say you are crossing a deep creek, the winch is underwater and ya get stuck. Does one even dare try to winch himself out with the winch underwater?

Old 11-20-2001, 12:09 PM
Pro Rider

The Superwinch, Warn and Ramsey are not waterproof. They all work while submerged underwater. Depending on how much water riding you do you will need to take them apart and clean them. The only waterproof one that I have heard of is the Rule 3300.

Old 11-25-2001, 10:45 AM
Pro Rider

I can only tell you this about them, well, the warn anyway. Warn tells you it aint waterproof, but my friend has had his for 3 years, and it is constantly under water. So, when i bought mine, i wasn't too worried. How can one own a 4x4 and not put it in the water???? I guess if it ever does burn out, i will replace it, but till then, i just dont sweat the small stuff.

Old 12-05-2001, 12:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

12 volt winches are d.c. current........water does not affect them.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-05-2001, 12:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

more info-------> they run by brush and armature.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-06-2001, 10:56 PM
Trailblazer

MICH660,
you speak of what you know. my #2000 warn has been underwater many,many times and was at the bottom of a pond on my 99fourtrax 300 ,and when i put it on my 2001 rancher it spent at least 20 mins. underwater when my wheeler went down again,i have never worried about it. I continually ride in water and my warn is 3yrs.old also IFit quits working we will worry then but for now we will continue to abuse it ,cuz it takes it and asks for more.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2001 RANCHER 4X4 W/ #2000 WARN AND C.C. 60"PLOW

Old 12-10-2001, 12:45 AM
Pro Rider

Warn is not waterproof. It can take a lot of abuse, especiallly if you take it apart and clean it out from time to time. Rule is the way to go. Only if I would of known that prior to getting a Warn.

Trending Topics

Old 12-23-2001, 05:44 PM
Pro Rider

Dextreme, both the Warn and Superwinch models appear to have about the same degree of water resistance upon my examination; neither waterPROOF, but still operable after considerable dunkings. Looks like water, mud and crud may eventually get between the brushes and the armature upon repeated exposure to muck and mire; not good for electric motor operation. The Rule is advertised as a "marine" winch; I'd expect a Rule to be more water-resistant than others. WaterPROOF? I think the term would have to be defined, and the method of verification testing described, to be of meaningful use.

Old 12-28-2001, 09:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Waterproof!? Nothing is 100% waterproof. Even a submarine has leaks. Most people won't take the time to take the winch apart and clean it at set intervals. Not to mention there will probably be that one time where you are tired when you put it back together and you'll do something wrong which will let the water flow on in.If you ride woods, mud, or in any type of off road conditions the winch will get jarred, jabbed, poked, or bashed and something will finally bend or twist and because of the abuse the "waterproof" features will fail. It may be water resistant but will under certain curcumstamces allow moisture in.

Old 12-29-2001, 01:23 PM
Pro Rider

I'm not sure if I've been very lucky with my winch or is my Warn 2000lbs very good. It is the original winch from 1993. I've pulled myself out many times and have pull others as well. I gone through some pretty deep water had no problems as of yet. The scary part is that I've had the bike for a few years now and have done no winch cleaning at all. I think I will start though. I don't spend alot of time submerged in the water but have had the winch underwater for fairly long periods of time.

So far so good

Quick Reply: Are winches waterproof?