Stealing a atv?(NO im not doing it,mine got stolen)

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2001, 10:10 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wandering how they could steal an atv and when u file a report they dont ctach them?Are they that easy to take?Some one took mine and funked with the key swith so u plug two wires up and hit the start buttonand she fires right up.Is there a way to "steal proof"it??

Old 12-26-2001, 12:13 AM
Pro Rider

NO WAY TO STEAL PROOF ANYTHING but i recomend insurance!!!!!

atv ins is cheap i pay 100 buck a year for my raptor!

i know it sucks to have to pay that, but its better than NO QUAD

good luck
01BLU660R

Old 12-26-2001, 05:16 AM
Pro Rider

Put an on/off switch somewhere out of view and splice you ignition into it. When you are away from your quad, flip the switch off.

JaMeS

Old 12-26-2001, 11:56 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks but i dont have to have the switch because the way the people who stole it rigged it u have to hotwire it to start it

Old 12-27-2001, 10:07 AM
Pro Rider

Yellow..
Yamahagye is saying to add "your" own switch some where that no one can see. If you add this switch, and turn it off while in storage or on the trail no one can hotwire it because no power is getting to the wires they are hot wiring.. I know is sounds confusing, but actually very simple.. Its just like adding another on/off switch.. This switch is also a great idea for children.. Safty first !!! Good luck !!!

Jason

Old 12-27-2001, 10:59 AM
Trailblazer

The best insurance is a big chain & lock. The scumbag crooks have no respect for your ATV, & the cops don't much care. At least you got it back, my 350X was taken in '98 and hasn't been seen since. At least not by any honest people.

Old 12-27-2001, 01:10 PM
Pro Rider

yeah a chain and lock is good. an on off switch won't work worth a crap. when mine got stolen it didn't run anyways! police never found it either. i lock my 400 up and keep it in my shed nowadays.

Old 12-27-2001, 02:20 PM
Range Rover

I drilled two 5/8" holes, 6" into my concrete garage floor. Installed 2 large eye hooks, that are tempered like locks. Went out and bought a 15mm kripton cable and a heavy duty lock. I also installed the same eye hook in my truck bed and welded the nut tight into frame under the bed.

When at home, I run the cable through part of the front frame, suspension arms, and wheel, then into the 2 eye hooks, and lock the cable. My garage also has a motion sensor in it, that is part of my monitored alarm system. When in my truck I use the eye hook in the bed, and take the spark plug wire that goes from the coil to the distributor on my truck. I also lock up the truck ramp in back of my truck while riding.

This may sound extreme, but it only cost me about $30, 2 hours, and 5 minutes before and after I ride. I doubt I'll have any problems. I'm still getting insurance though.

Old 12-28-2001, 10:10 AM
Pro Rider

hey rides for fun!
I can only emagine what you have been through to go to such extremes like that! You have great ideas on how to protect you machine though. I will take you advice on the drilling holes in my garage floor and locking down the quad with a good chain. as for the kill switch. I am never away from my quad while i'm on the trails or hanging at a site. I take out the key, and keep it in eye sight, so if anyone wants it that bad, they will have to get past me to take it.

Old 12-28-2001, 01:20 PM
Pro Rider

ATV theft is a hard crime to solve. Most of the stolen atv are kept at camps and other places where the chances are we most likely will never see it. Also make sure you have your VIN numbers with out them if we run across a stolen atv but the VIN was never entered into The national crime computer we have no way of telling who the bike belongs to of it is even stolen. Atv are not like cars where we get to stop them driving down the road all the time and run them to see if they are stolen. Trust me we care its just sometimes it hard to find them.

Quick Reply: Stealing a atv?(NO im not doing it,mine got stolen)