2-way radio and headset

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2002, 09:29 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone give me advice on a good 2-way radio with headset for use while riding?

I have used the family radios with earpieces, but I am in search of a better setup. The radio did have voice activation, but it would transmit with engine noise and when I used the transmit switch it was difficult to reach.

Let me know if you've seen anything out there that works.

Old 01-07-2002, 11:44 PM
Range Rover

Gohl,

My buddy and I have tried FRS radios with a wiring setup for our helmets. For snowmobiling, there was so much engine noise we had to use the "roger" tones to communicate.

For quading, we used the same radios, and had the same problem. Now we have chatterbox GMRS radios. They have VOX, and push to talk.

I myself find the PTT much better at higher speeds. On my scrambler I tend to create a lot of noise past 35 mph, and find I have to use PTT. On technical trails, the vox works pretty good.

I am not happy with the construction of the unit, or the company. I will say GMRS rocks, and I got the proper FCC license.

Rainman

Old 01-08-2002, 10:28 AM
Pro Rider

gohl-- I use FRS too. I use the PTT mode when riding because of engine noise picked up by VOX mic. I have seen ear bud/boom mic combos that are adjustable for VOX sensitivity. These are expensive, starting at $40.-up.
PTT set up is the cheapest way that I've found for the background noise problem.

Old 01-23-2002, 08:53 PM
Pro Rider

sorry to seem so ignorant on the subject, but you can helmet mount talking radios??? can anyone explain these better to me? i dont ride dunes, but my friends and i ride trails that can go forever, and it would be nice to keep in touch if we get seperated. any info would be most appreciated. thanks alot guys.

my pictures

Old 01-24-2002, 12:39 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Guys try this site these are designed for helmet communications with voice operated system.
www.colletcommunications.com//indexlhtm.

These units mount to the side of your helmet with a mike boom going to the front for your mouth and an ear phone for the ear hole. They operate on 2.4 megahertz which is good for distance and security.You can custom order for groups with a custom frequency so it is unlikely you will overlap another group within the same vicinity. Check it out its in Canadian funds which is cheaper yet and they are water and mud resistant.

Old 01-24-2002, 04:26 AM
Pro Rider

I dont know about the newer ones but my buddy has a set of the 900 megahertz helmet mount ones and they are not much good for 4 wheeling. The vox was too sensitive and they didnt have enough distance in heavy woods. Anyway anyone interested he will sell them cheap!

Old 01-29-2002, 08:04 AM
Pro Rider

trailboss450,

Curious on how much he'd take as they just obsoleted that model and went to cell phone compatible.

John

Old 01-29-2002, 08:15 AM
Pro Rider

My choice would NOT be helmet mount, as I use my helmet to "bust" thru a lot of brush along the trail. It mite get caught on a branch, OR(worse yet) a grapevine!
My radio rig cost: $27 for radio(Bell South)+ $12 for earbud/mic combo with PTT switch. This was bought at Walmart. The rig has proven itself VERY SATISFACTORY, having been field tested at H/M and Wayne Nat'l. Forest. Mine clips on your belt or shirt. It is the size of pack of long cigarettes,and doesn't weigh much either!

Old 01-29-2002, 03:38 PM
Pro Rider

He is currently out of town. I will find out what he wants for them when he gets back and let you know!

Old 01-30-2002, 08:20 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks T/B 450; have to admit I wouldn't pay much for them; maybe $20/piece or so with everything incl.; though I know he paid over 10 times that. Maybe he can find someone else that doesn't mind their obsolence.

trx450,

I agree that the cheapie FRS w/PTT works in 90% of the situations you're in when you're an experienced rider. Past the point of understandable conversation; radio signals work just as well and are often overlooked. I'll try and tell a novice that they'd better just stop or slow down to transmit with one hand off the bars(only thing I don't like about it).

By the way, sure wish you could make it down to TN in April, would enjoy talking with you, but understand if you have the H/M fever(especially with Gilbert about to open).

John
'00 SP500

Quick Reply: 2-way radio and headset