Truck bed Winch?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2002, 06:16 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey folks,

I've been searching for one but only found one, and it says it won't work with a style-side bed. Probably a mounting issue, I haven't checked how far apart my bed rails are yet.

At any rate, I drive a 2002 Lightning. Loading the Raptor alone is a pain in the butt, but it can be done. Just takes time, patience, blood, sweat and tears hehe. Loading the bike alone on the other hand is impossible, but I'm taking care of that another way.

What I was wondering is if there's a kit, or an easy way to do it without a kit, to put a winch in the bed of the truck to let me winch that bad boy right up into the bed. Any tips or ideas also appreciated. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-25-2002, 09:30 PM
Trailblazer

have you ever thought of the idea of getting a set of loading ramps??? and just driving it up.
thats what all the people i know use
ninjazx

Old 03-25-2002, 09:51 PM
Trailblazer

I have ramps, what you think I'm picking it up and sliding it into the bed? LOL

Having experienced first hand what can go wrong, I'm not fond of riding it up those ramps. I've ridden it up into the bed before without problems, but flipping it off them once is all it took to convince me not to any more. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Ok, anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Old 03-26-2002, 12:09 AM
Pro Rider

Check with the dealership. Warn offers a truck bed winch. I just read about it in Cabelas too. Good luck!

Old 03-26-2002, 04:01 AM
Trailblazer

Yeah that's the kit that says it won't work with styleside beds. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] It's also the ONLY one I found anywhere.

Guess I'll have to contact them directly to see what's what.

Old 03-26-2002, 10:27 AM
Trailblazer

By a crank winch for a boat trailer. They are about what $30 ??? Mount it on something like a 4x4 and you should be able to rig a temp or permenant mount in the front of the truck. Crank away....it should not be bad. I crank 2500lb boat on a trailer, a 500 lb quad should be a piece of cake.
Does the lightning have the same bed as the other style sides ? THere should be an indentation in the bed to slide in a 2x6 across right in front of the tire well. You could use this as an anchor point. I'd guess you do not want to drill holes in the pretty Lightning.

I've seen the boat winch idea used for dead snowmobiles winched on a trailer and it works slick. I know of at least 2 people that carry one in the trailer just in case. A dead sled is almost impossible to load on a trailer.

-jeff b.

Old 03-26-2002, 11:30 AM
Trailblazer

Hey good idea, thanks Jeff!

Trending Topics

Old 03-28-2002, 10:24 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ramps are great. Try putting a piece of plywood in your bed to park your atv and ramps on, or even a piece of carpet under the plywood.

Specta

Old 03-31-2002, 09:59 AM
Pro Rider

got to www.cabelas.com
they have a bunch of ramps. Buy one of those flat ones so you don't have to worry about sliding off the board, plus it will fold up and will fit between your quad wheels while it's on the truck.

Old 04-10-2002, 04:40 AM
Range Rover

Northern edge is right. I bought the tri fold ramp at cabelas and it works for anything you want to put in it. Sleds,quads,bikes whatever only thing is there isn't any way to hook all the pieces together so they don't do a unfold in the middle of loading. There is I just haven't done it but for 139 it works good! Later[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Truck bed Winch?