atvs are great for those with a disability

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 10:56 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default atvs are great for those with a disability

AZ Dept of Motor Veh. doesn't care!! ALL they want is a headlight, tail/brake/license plate light, a left mirror AND your money--got cash, get registration!! A very progressive state, the last state admitted before Alaska and HA! Residents refer to AZ as a territory...
Tim

Old 05-08-2003, 11:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

Good job convincing the wife. I told mine that the added mobility with less physical strain would allow me to do my chores AND have more time and energy to help on her projects! Seriously, my shoulders don't hurt nearly as much...which leaves that much more time to hunt!!

Old 05-08-2003, 04:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Tonka,
We don't have the vehicular freedom in Indiana that you do in AZ, man I wish we did.
The free ride trail areas here are almost non-existent, right now I've got to be satisfied
with a 2 acre patch of trees behind a bean field.

mark

Old 05-08-2003, 10:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

550 muler-
One of the biggest reasons that I moved to AZ was freedom. I moved so I could "retire" and enjoy the fruits of my labors. I won't go on about freedoms but CA was one of the most restrictive states in the union in every respect. AZ is a breath of fresh air. The down side is that wages are lower and and state provided services are limited...you pay your money and take your chances!

AZ does have some funny laws that don't make sene though. Seat belt laws are strictly enforced but motocyclists don't wear helmets... Drinking driver laws are strictly enforced but we have drive through liqour stores... Your driver's license is valid until you are 65 with no renewals or periodic testing... No logic!! All in all though, I'll take the good with the odd.

I live at the 4500' level and it snows several times each winter... The snow lasts a couple days and we have a warm spell. I think we have had our last freeze for the year so we can plant our gardens. Riding is truely an all year activity. We do have wind but when you are at speed you can't tell! I am ready for a break though. The local national forest is trying to limit riding to established roads and trails, especially during fire season which seem reasonable.

Hang in there with your local regulations and, if you have a chance, visit our wonderful state!
Tim

Old 05-08-2003, 11:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

Tonka,
My parents (both sets actually) live in Pheonix,and I'm planning on driving out to see them soon. I'm driving because I have a friend who likes to go shooting and I'm bringing my guns. Anyhow, Maybe I should bring my quad,make it street legal,have my parents get it registered,then bring it back to Nebraska! I would have a regular title then. Now I'm thinking!

Old 05-11-2003, 12:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

Sounds like a way around the law or at least a foot in the door!! Bring your quad and your guns!! AZ likes guns too!! This coming Friday I graduate from Yavapai College Gunsmithing School--ready to start my third carrer! Hot darn, life doesn't get any better!! Hauled my milling machine home from California yesterday, 16 hours in the car to save $400 shipping!! Borrowed a neighbor and a forklift to get a 3000 pound machine into my garage, er shop... I digress from ATV's, sorry, just had a great day! The wind stopped and the temp was perfect today... Tomorrow I'll go riding and think kind thoughts of all you folks who aren't here with me!
Tim

Old 05-11-2003, 09:44 AM
Range Rover

Tonka, congrats on getting out of gunsmithing school!!!!!

Old 05-11-2003, 12:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well done Tonka!!! At 3000 lbs it sounds like you've got a 2hp Bridgeport? I own a small tool & die shop in southern Indiana (that's how I could venture a guess about your new mill). I got my Swisher Trail Mower Friday and wow does it do a great job. Now what was a 5 hour pain in the a** is now a 2 hour joy, because it's just more quality time with the Mule every week lol.

Would anyone here be able to steer me in the right direction for some replacement front shocks for the Mule? The stockers are 11" long and stiff as all get out, even when a friend of mine jumps up and down on the front bumper they only move about a 1/4" and he weighs about 180 lbs. I was even thinking of looking at street motorcycle rear shocks as a replacement but I am at a loss as to where to start.

thanks,
mark

Old 05-11-2003, 03:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

550Muler
Maybe you should be looking into front shocks from a snowmobile.
All new sleds are coming with adjustable prelode for the springs and the good ones have adjustable valving so you could customize them to your weight and riding conditions.
I've found that the fronts off the new Ski-Doo chassis fit my Traxter perfectly. Just a thought.

Take Care!

Old 05-12-2003, 08:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks 97mxz670,

I'll look into those.

mark

Quick Reply: atvs are great for those with a disability