Which GPS should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2002, 12:25 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Preacherman, got the GPS III working. I was thinking that it might be the internal 10 year battery. Garmin suggested that I leave plugged in to 12 volt source for 3 days to recharge. This did not work, so got the GPS V. As I was reading the manual on the GPS V, it was suggested that I go to Garmin Web Site to download the latest software. While I was there, saw upgraded software for the GPS III. Decided since I had nothing to lose to download. Started working after taking outside for good signal. My thinking is that the software that came with the GPS III had a limited calendar of where the satellites were located and after this date could not find any. New software would have current positions, so found everything right away.

Old 07-21-2002, 07:30 PM
Range Rover

Just got back from first ride using the GPS V. Connected to my laptop and downloaded track and waypoints from GPS into the Mapsource Program. This was easy. Had done this before with the GPS III but to other software and it was harder. With the information loaded on the PC, I can check different legs of the trip and see elevation, speed and some other information. Hope to load more trails from Royal Blue and then can print my own map.

Old 07-22-2002, 04:21 PM
Trailblazer

I just bought the Garmin E-trex Vista from gpsdiscount.com

This thing is compact and very cool. It comes with 24 mb of internal RAM.

What mapping software is the best to use with this GPS?

Thanks,

Ash

Old 07-31-2002, 08:41 PM
Range Rover

Have upgraded my Garmin GPS V with the roads and recreation cd plus sent off for the city select version 4.01 update. Got both over the weekend and finally loaded. Adds a lot more detail for local roads then what came with the system. Starting to plot trails as we ride them. Really nice to be able to download trails to PC and then check out where you have been.

Old 08-06-2002, 01:40 PM
Trailblazer

I've been think about getting a GPS also. I ride mostly with my wife and kids in unfamiliar, but legal and mapped trails. I've never had a GPS unit and have some questions.

How does it display where you are? Is it a map or just a bunch of numbers. The screens seem kind of small.

Can you trace your path from your stating point and find your way back to your truck?

Ultimatly, I'd like to be able plot the trails noted with landmarks and print out a map.

I know they can be a life saver and it would be a good idea, but I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars if I don't need it.

Old 08-06-2002, 08:45 PM
Range Rover

You can get GPS units with or without maps. The ones with maps will cost a little more, but are really worth it. You can zoom the map in or out to see different areas. You can see your track on the map as you ride. If you mark a waypoint where you parked, then you can easily track yourself back to your truck. The Garmin GPS V comes with software and cables to connect to your PC which will let you download your waypoints, tracks and routes. You can also upload from the PC to GPS more detail maps, waypoints, tracks.

Have been using different types of GPSs for years, most of the time just needed for fun, but a few times it really saved the miles in getting home. Gives a good comfort factor when out riding that I can look at a map and see excatly where I am.

Old 08-08-2002, 10:31 AM
Trailblazer

Ive started using expert gps with my etrex venture. Gives you online topo and aerial maps. Really a great program once you use it. The full version will show your tracks and prints out the map in nice detail. 30 day free trial.. http://www.expertgps.com/download.asp