why changed classifieds?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2002, 08:47 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this place USED to have the best classified ads,why the change??,is it to make money off other ppl selling parts?was it too much work or what,just curious,cost of site?I can understand buisness's trying to sell stuff and messing things up,but for the people that maybe cant afford new parts it bites!not to mention if parts are not bought/sold you still gotta pay,we can do that in local papers,dont mean to complain...well maybe a little,feels the same as when a fav local riding spot gets shut down,makes ya wonder why somebody's got to change a GOOD thing,its nothing personal,I just hate it,was my fav site

Old 07-28-2002, 05:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The costs of running a site as popular and busy as this is tremendous. Classified ad sales enable a way for our readers to give back and support this site. Other sites have gone to subscription fees for access to content. We don't want to do that because our goal is to have everything free to the reader. However, like any business in this economy, our expenses continue to rise. So we opted to begin charging for the classified ads. If someone is going to make $100 off of selling something using our service (which costs us money to provide) its reasonable to expect it's worth $3 to that person to make the sale. We also assume that the person recognizes that the forums and our content are worth much more than $3 to them.

The people who are most vocal about complaining about having to pay $3 to use our classifieds are also the same people who would be most vocal if one day they logged on to the internet and our home page said, "out of business." I hope people will think about that next time they need to decide if they should give ebay money for selling something or give it to us. We know we provide more value to ATVers than ebay does. No question.