Anyone using synthetic (PLasma) rope on their winch?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2003, 07:58 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone using synthetic (PLasma) rope on their winch?

I too have the plasma rope. If you read the info about the guys who do major competition, they use it because of zero snapback. When it breaks, it just drops, it doesn't whip back and kill you like cable does. But the main reason I got it was too reduce the weight of my winch.

I dropped 10 pounds, plus it comes with a sweet hook!

http://www.drundel.com/sdh/rule/

Old 03-09-2003, 11:55 PM
Pro Rider

OK...What are the recommended specs. for the rope used with a 2000# warn winch???

I could definately stand to shed a few lbs.!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-12-2003, 07:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

I work for a rope manufacturer here in california. we supply technora 12 strand rope to off road shops such as Off Road Only for use as winch lines. Although our rope does come with a warning card this is really only there to cover our butts. Using Technora as a winch line has several advantages over wire ropes. Technora is much lighter than wire rope, it won't kink or bind like wire, it has a higher tenacity than a wire the same diameter, it does not rust, it is very low stretch, and it is much less likely to cause severe injury or damage to your vehicle if it does break. Technora fiber is susceptible to UV, but all of our ropes are coated with a polyurethane which aids in protecting the fiber from UV exposure as well as helping with abrasion resistance.

Old 03-13-2003, 01:31 PM
Pro Rider

ROPEMAN,

How does the rope hold up to the other elements??? Like mud, sand, grit, cold, hot, etc.

I really am considering going with the rope, but as with anything, I am a little reluctant until I get reliable input.

Old 03-18-2003, 04:29 AM
Pro Rider

BigFrank...

Looking for an update on the plasma rope...have you use it??? Thumbs up? or Thumbs down??

Old 03-18-2003, 11:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

Fango,
Synthetic fiber holds up very well to temperature changes. Technora has a very high melting point in comparison with nylon or polyester fibers. When using synthetic fiber ropes it is important to keep them clean. After use, a rope should be washed off with clean water and allowed to dry. This will help maintain the integrity of the rope as well as helping to prolong its service. Dust, sand, mud, rocks, ect. can work their way into the fibers of the rope causing abrasion. Urethane coating on the rope helps to minimize this problem by "sealing" the fibers from outside elements. However, the urethane can only help so much and the rope should still be cleaned after use.
-Ropeman

Old 03-18-2003, 07:00 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the info ROPEMAN!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 03-18-2003, 11:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Fango, I ahve been layed up with a bad back and haven't been able to go out riding, so haven't tested the rope yet. Sorry...

Frank

Old 03-19-2003, 10:22 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the reply BigFrank....Sorry to hear 'bout the back....speedy recovery to ya!!

When you bought your rope did you buy the hook also...if so, is it worth the extra cash???

Old 04-13-2003, 03:22 PM
Pro Rider

I see this is an older post, but I didn't see anyone link to any reviews. plasma rope is good stuff from what i gather. Many competition competitors now use it, and it is making back tracks in the recreational winching area. Here is a review.
Plasma Rope Review

Quick Reply: Anyone using synthetic (PLasma) rope on their winch?