Anyone using synthetic (PLasma) rope on their winch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2003, 05:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone using synthetic (PLasma) rope on their winch?

Fango, back is still messed up, but I think it's getting better. Gonna miss the Moab trip at the end of this month (been working on the details for almost a year), so I'm kinda bummed about that.

You asked about the hook. I think that is almost the best part of the purchase! That thing is AWESOME!!! the rope is cool, but the hook looks like it should be on a big tug boat or something. The locking mechanism is the best I have ever seen.

Frank

Old 04-15-2003, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry to here you're still with the bad back BigFrank!!

I finally decided to order up the rope...cable is just about TOAST....should have the rope by this weekend...I'll give it the old fashioned test this Sat.

Hey thanks for turning me on to the rope...I think it will be way better than cable!!!

Old 04-16-2003, 12:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

Fango, let us know how you like the rope. I think you will like it just fine.

Old 04-23-2003, 11:20 PM
Pro Rider

I finally got my rope BigFrank....one question, though, how'd you install it on the drum of your winch??

Did you tap a hole and bolt it to the drum?....I have a WARN A2000 winch. What do you have???????

Thanks

Old 04-24-2003, 01:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey FAngo. I have a Warn 3000, so the mounting is different than yours. Mine just has a hole in the drum, and I threaded the rope though the hole, and put a small knot in it and wound it on. Had to cut off the metal eye that Masterpull put on (even tough I told them not to put it on). How does yours attach to the drum?

Frank

Old 04-25-2003, 02:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

I ended up pinching mine in two, lost about 10' off the end, but all you have to do is use a good knot and tie the hook back onto it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] and your back in business !

Old 04-25-2003, 06:28 PM
Pro Rider

Frank
The drum on mine has a small slot that only the cable can slip thru. once you slip it thru, you loop it back and put a little round "keeper" in the loop and pull the cable tight. Tough to explain. But I think I will just drill a hole and tap it for a small bolt.

I emailed Master Pull for their suggestion and they have been slow to return anything...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 04-26-2003, 01:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

Fango, mine is the same as yours. I ran my rope through (tough but managable), tied a small not in it, and put the keeper in. Pulled tight, and rolled it on the drum.

Frank

Old 04-26-2003, 02:10 AM
Pro Rider

Ok time for a little braggin' lol, my neighbor works at a ship yard here in town and one day his car broke down close to home. His caddy broke down in the middle of a busy 3 lane road and no one was stopping to help him out. Well being his neighbor and all I decided I'd pull his car out of the middle of the road with my tow rope (nylon beat up thing). Well after towing him to a near by street I noticed my rope was about trash and gave him a ride home. Well the next day he shows up on my door step with a nice new 150' piece of rope that they use down at the docks. He said something about them using this same diameter for lifting large boxes that weight a few tons. To make a long story short its that same rope that you guys are using for winch leads. I'm going to have to go thank my neighbor again for the rope! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-26-2003, 09:44 AM
Pro Rider

It worked great to tap a threaded hole and bolt the eyelet on, I do have about 5 or 6 feet of extra rope that I have to rap around the rack.

Maybe cutting off a bit of rope and doin' the old knot trick is the way to go??!!

Hey thanks again for turning me on to the rope, BigFrank!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Anyone using synthetic (PLasma) rope on their winch?