Hauling your ATV and a travel trailer

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2000, 05:47 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To get around this, I would just fab a reciever hitch "platform" out of some square tubing and expanded metal for the quads to go on in the back. For extra support, run chains from back corners of platform to top of trailer. I'm sure you could find some major supports in the trailer without a problem, and you could install some sort of hook on them so all you had to do to haul quads was insert the platform into the reciever hitch, and climb up on top and hook up 2 chains. Hopefully thats some food for thought - and it shouldnt be very hard to do if you have access to a welder and steel.

Old 04-29-2000, 03:07 PM
JRM
Pro Rider

That is a very good idea, so i seriouly looked into it. but ran into a problem when I called the trailer dealer. The 1996 26' terry uses 2 3000LB axles, that is only 800LB below the full wet weight of this steel framed trailer. The dealer said the 800LB extra is for the supplys (junk) we throw inside. Terry uses the lightest axles for cost cutting reasons, and he has seen 3 of my trailers have axle falures where it litterly melts the berring and cuts the axle on half and the wheel falls off due to people overpacking there trailer over the 800lb limit..warrenty did not cover it. I cant believe terry cuts it so close with axle weight. Looks like Im outta luck on this one too But even if it did hold it, wouldnt the overhang on the back seriouly effect hiway handeling?

Old 04-29-2000, 04:15 PM
Trailblazer

Hey ATV GUY,
where is that camp ground with the trails in WNY?
I live in WNY & need a place to camp that's wheeler friendly. thanx

Old 04-29-2000, 06:04 PM
Pro Rider

you know i once saw a way to transport your quad that wouldnt effect your setup at all. I saw a rack that fits in place of your snow plow( that is if you have one on your truck. Its something to think about.

Old 04-30-2000, 09:37 PM
Range Rover

The campground that allows ATVs is called Long Meadows Park. It's near Cassadaga so you can go see a psychic too! The phone # is 716-962-2227,
the guy to ask for is named Mike, tell him a NYTRO member sent you. We get a discount on camping so you should join up!

This is New York's only ATV friendly campground
and it has about 1000 acres. I rode there yesterday and the trails were great! Mud was
easily found, nice hill climb into a little creek, very good trails. I would have gotten lost if the owner wasn't showing us the trails.

If anybody needs more info on the campground or the club I belong to, New York Trail Riders Organization E-mail me at atv_guy@msn.com

Old 05-01-2000, 12:07 AM
Trailblazer

Sounds like you're out of luck - you're right, hanging an extra 800 pounds waaaaayyy off the back end would probably make it prone to swaying. ANOTHER IDEA: large semi's have those 2 wheeled setups that they hook on to the hitch pin that changes it from a fifth wheel to a regular hitch setup. I dont know how serious you are about it, but it seems like i've seen someone who makes those. Or you could make one out of a VW Beetle. haha

Old 05-01-2000, 03:48 AM
JRM
Pro Rider

My Girlfriend likes to drive my Toyota anyways, so I will let her pull the Quads up and I will take the fithwheel But someday I will buy a truck camper that way I can take only one rig

Old 05-01-2000, 02:41 PM
Pro Rider

I just bought a lightweight travel trailer that has all the
utilities on the left side so I can cut a door/ramp in the back and make it into a ATV toy hauler. With just a few interior modifications,and
without the weight of the big toy haulers which I can't pull well with my Yukon (5500 towing capacity) But then I got a third ATV and am back to two rigs, Oh well.

Old 05-02-2000, 03:56 AM
Trailblazer

YOu can replace the axles and springs for very little money. A couple hundred for each.

ChampionTrailer.com

Plus many other trailer places. Amazing how cheap it is to do under carriage work.

Old 05-02-2000, 05:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been there.. done that. I used to load (3) ATV's in the back of a short bed truck standing up and pull a travel trailer. I did that for 4-5 trips and it got old in a hurry. After looking and watching other Off-Roaders to see how they hauled their ATV's, I ended up getting an ATV toy hauler trailer and never looked back. Door down, roll em in & lash em down, "Done" (more or less). Trust me when I say trade the Terry in and get one. You, after only a few trips will ask your self why you waited so long! Sure it's a money thing, but the conveince factor out weighs the money part and you'll justify the expense after only a few trips. Its also more secure, provides additional storage if need be and keeps them out of the weather Etc. It's the best thing since sliced bread! and worth every penny!

Rude Dog

Quick Reply: Hauling your ATV and a travel trailer