Hauling your ATV and a travel trailer

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2000, 05:17 AM
JRM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a 96' 26 foot Terry fifth wheel and there is a receiver hitch mounted on the back of it for towing another second trailer like an enclosed snowmobile trailer behind it. The old owner lived in a state (unknown) that allowed double toeing of trailers from a pickup if:
1. both have brakes
2. The first is an in bed hitch type like a semi (the fifth wheel falls under this)
Oregon doesn't allow double toeing, so how can I have both the quads and travel trailer? I dont like haveing them in the bed of the truck because of theft when visiting other places, thats why i picked up the fith wheel. Maybe one of those new patio trailers would be the best bet? I wish Oregon would allow doubble toeing. Joe

Old 04-23-2000, 11:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

Or get some really long ramps, and put it on top of the camper!
Watch for low overpasses though! HAHA

Old 04-23-2000, 01:19 PM
Pro Rider

Drawtite makes class lll,lV, llV hitches with tongue ratings of 500lb, 1000lb.and 1200lbs (and are conservative) tongue ratings at that.

Then you could get a cargo carrier (customised a little), Slide it in the receiver and WA, la. Instant quad carrier.

For security, chain then up with a grade 7 chain and lock. The only thing that can cut it is a diamond saw.

Old 04-23-2000, 04:01 PM
Range Rover

What is the reason they dont allow doubles? That seems kind of odd with all the heavy haul trucking that goes on in the state. Are you sure its due to length and not the fact of doubles? Having the 5th wheel set up is alot better and more stable. Some roads might be limited to it too, due to length restrictions. I happen to drive truck, so thats why i question the law on passenger vehicles. Doesnt make sence to me.
Hope you can come up with a solution.

Old 04-24-2000, 07:43 PM
JRM
Pro Rider

I called the state police agian and they said that if it is over 40 feet total i need air brakes and a CDL, but if it is Under 40 feet total includeing the tow rig that i only need brakes on all axles, my F-350 is 18 feet + 22 foot fith wheel (4 feet is over the bed and does not effect the total length)+ enclosed atv trailer at 19 feet= 59 feet... This makes no sence when my nebor has a 40 foot fithwheel and a crew cab truck at 22 feet long = 62 feet! makes no sence to me

Old 04-24-2000, 11:13 PM
Range Rover

You need a second vehicle and trailer for the
ATVs. Uses up more gas but the fines for hauling
an unsafe load could be quite high. They would
probably tow and impound your too over length
rig. All those costs might make the second vehicle
cheap by comparison.

Also some campgrounds might not let you in with
ATVs. I called the one we go to all the time
and at first they said no. But when I told them they wouldn't come off the trailer they said
OK. This same campground welcomes snowmobilers
in the winter. Golf carts are everywhere all
the time, but no ATVs. There is a campground
in Western New York that will allow ATVs, and
they have a trail system. I'll be checking it
out since my club is having a picnic there in
June.

Old 04-25-2000, 03:18 AM
Trailblazer

how many ATV's do you want to haul you could build a rack off the back of the trailer to haul two quads pretty easy. I was going to build one of these for my self

Old 04-25-2000, 03:51 AM
JRM
Pro Rider

I just need to haul my XR250 and my 200SX along with the upcoming rubicon, I think 2 trucks would be easyest. Hey notfastenough tell rick Joe said hi

Old 04-25-2000, 04:50 AM
Trailblazer

Well I live dangerously in Utah! :-)

We can and do the double trailer thing all too often. For the class of vehicles that this is done with all too often the rigs are not safe at all. And yes I do this and have done it many times.

Currently in the process of converting my 26' hitch trailer to a hauler! Neat project. Well it will be when done. I would probal=bly suggest that since you are stuck living where you do with the laws as theey are that you either convert your trailer or trade it in on a toy hauler..

Old 04-26-2000, 02:04 AM
Trailblazer

no problem I will

Quick Reply: Hauling your ATV and a travel trailer