I got hassled by the fuzz today

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2003, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I got hassled by the fuzz today

My friends and I were on a legal trail. In fact we were within 50 ft of the sign that designates which roads are legal and which are not,I also had a map with me that I got from the BLM mail box next to the sign. We were stopped, drinking pepsi and chewin on jerky when a couple of newbee BLM rangers pull up.

First they check our green stickers and our spark arresters ( I have no problem with this). We were legal so they got more involved with us. Asked us where we came from where are we going and how are we getting there ect. I got out the map that was supplied by the BLM and said something like " Were just gonna wonder up this way" and pointed at a legal trail on the map.

Ranger #1 started to get an attitude with me. #2 just stood there never spoke. #1 said "your not supposed to be here". I'm like "well I have this map that says were legal here" and he said that the map must be wrong. He asked me where I got it and I pointed at the BLM mailbox 50 ft away.

He goes over to the box and pulls out all the maps in it and put them into his truck. Now he says " I should cite you guys for being here". I walked over to the sign that says "Open Route" and pointed at the picture of the atv on it which designates it as a legal road.

#1 said "Well it's your fault if you get a ticket out here you were warned". He could see that we were not gonna let him bully us into leaving just because he doesn't like atv's since we were on a legal trail.

They got in the truck and zoomed off.

I got his name from his badge.

I have written and mailed a letter to his superior. Not a nasty letter but a well spoken one (thanks mom). Maybe he will get hole diggin duty for a while or worse.

I'll let ya'll know if/when they reply.

Old 03-31-2003, 01:57 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice way to handle it. 2 thumbs up for not smarting off to him.

Old 03-31-2003, 02:13 AM
Elite Pro Rider

thats right, excellent way of handling it. You represented our sport like a pro, keep it up, and have fun.

Old 03-31-2003, 03:47 AM
Pro Rider

The MAN always trying to keep us down.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-31-2003, 09:10 PM
Pro Rider

I got the feeling that #1 was a rookie and he was trying to be a heeero and show off his power of authority to try to impress #2. Or he's member of the Sierra club.

If he had given us a reason not to go on a particular trail then I could have understood that(E.G.Trail Maintenance, cutting timber that day ect). But to try to run us off for no reason naw.......... Homie don't play that game!

I am waiting in anticipation to see if I get a response from them since I sent a S.A.S.E along with it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-01-2003, 10:43 AM
Pro Rider

I haven't heard the term "fuzz" in years. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Good story, just goes to show that some people of authority shouldn't be in the positions their in.

Old 04-01-2003, 10:54 AM
Pro Rider

Keep us posted if you here any thing back from your letter. I am interested on if it goes any further.

Old 04-01-2003, 10:59 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Around here "the po po" is pretty popular. Of course there are dozens of slang terms for law enforcement.

Old 04-02-2003, 03:22 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

Chris, exactly where did this happen???? Sounds like this guy had a personal axe to grind. One of the magazines ran a BLM/Glamis horor story a while back. Similar stuff, just some ranger throwing their weight around.

Old 04-02-2003, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: reconranger
Chris, exactly where did this happen???? Sounds like this guy had a personal axe to grind. One of the magazines ran a BLM/Glamis horor story a while back. Similar stuff, just some ranger throwing their weight around.
Right at the corner of 3n14 and Bowen ranch rd in the juniper flats area above Apple Valley. Bowen Ranch is legal to atv's if your south of 3n14 which we were.....by about 40 ft.

Quick Reply: I got hassled by the fuzz today