Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

just bought 85 quadracer 250

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 04:20 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just bought 85 quadracer 250

I just bought a 85' 250 quadracer and i wanted to buy some parts and was wondering about your opinions about what is better. I recently ordered a fatty pipe and will be getting the silencer and air filter after it arrives. i was also thinking on getting some wheel spacers. i dont race i normaly just ride trails and back roads. I dont need a race bike but i would like enough power to keep up
please send me some feedback
i live in canada and have had the bike about a week

Old 07-11-2003, 05:05 PM
Trailblazer

come on guys i need some help here
i can buy all the stuff i see but i want to get the parts that do exactly what a want but cant go by what the manufacturers say i want to know the pro's and cons of all the parts i require
thanks

Old 07-11-2003, 06:01 PM
Pro Rider

Once you have your pipe and silencer on, and air filter, you might be wise to spend your next dollars and time just getting it tuned well, then put good tires on it (Kenda claws or ITP Holeshots), then look at suspension. If you have it running right with those few mods you'll have plenty of trail power. Wheel spacers in the front can get you into a bump steer situation. For your filter a Uni would probably work well, and a few holes in the airbox lid with those plug-in 1" filtered vents are a good setup. My $.02.

Old 07-11-2003, 06:16 PM
Trailblazer

thanks alot i was thinkin on getting a k & n with no air box at all and wheel spacers all around
i have new tires on it
the name is not on ei have heard of but not a bad design
actualy kinda like the bear claws with the same two rows of knobbs along the edge
i didn't want to take it into the shop to get it tuned becasue it is like $60/ hour and they take their time
i know a guy who would od it for me
i wish i could do it myself but i am only 16 and have littl eexerience
i am thinking on being a small engine mechanic when i get older

Old 07-12-2003, 06:37 AM
Pro Rider

Well now.. somebody I can finally give some advice to!! I used to have an 86 Quadracer so I've got a pretty good handle on things as far as they're concerned!

I had the FMF Fatty pipe myself as well as a K&N filter. I ran with no airbox lid, which still somewhat keeps the gunk out and still gives it pretty good breathing. I ran 195 main jets at sea level and those worked well for the riding that I did at the dunes. I didn't have to mess with them at all after I got it dialed in.

I also put a set of Boyesen reeds in, which on those bikes is kind of a pain because you have to take the cylinder off to put them in. Not a huge issue but sounds like you might need some assistance with someone with some experience. While I had the cylinder off, I had it ported slightly and this gave my cylinder a little better breathing and with both the reeds and porting I ended up moving my power band up a ways. This worked well. The port job was basically a clean up job and I had the cylinder ported to match the exhaust port.

If I remember correctly, 85's had a little smaller carb than the 86's so the jetting may not be exactly correct for your bike or where you are. Do a little research and always jet on the rich side when you're starting out. I'd rather foul a few plugs than end up having to replace a top end!

As far as wheel spacers... Ok on the back... I'd never do it on the front. If you end up doing it, you'll see the problem right away. Bump steer will be horrible!!!!!

I hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions... I might just be able to answer them!!

Old 07-14-2003, 05:46 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks alot
I will forget about the wheel spacers up front and i will likely just get the reed valves done whenever i blow it up
while i am getting it serviced might as well get it ported.
also i hate the twist throttle on it so i am thinking on getting the thumb but i will still keep the twist incase i want to change back
i wanted to get a larger carb but i heard that if i got any larger it would just slow it down ?
I wanted to get a bumper to dress it up a bit and have protection then i looked an dthey cost like 150 and i cant see myself paying 150 dollars for a piece of aluminum the size of a softball
thanks and anny suggestions would be helpful

Old 07-15-2003, 04:05 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds like you've got a handle on things now. Good luck with your project. Also, I never got around to it on mine, but a set of Works Shocks would do WONDERS on the front of these bikes! They are WAAAYYY too stiff from the factory!

Have fun!

Old 07-15-2003, 07:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you bike is stock, then you have a 32mm carb. The 86 has a 34mm. If you put on a K&N air filter, and a pipe, you can easily go to a 34mm carb, in fact I would recommend it. Jet it to about 220-230 and your good to go. I have a 35mm Keihin pwk on mine and it runs really good. I have a Stock mikuni from an 86 that has been bored to 36mm. That carb performed well, but I switched to Keihen because everyone else in my family run keihin, and every Mikuni I have ever dealt with would drip fuel when parked unless you turned the gas off every time. Also, if you are finding bumpers for $150, then you aren't looking in the right places. you can get them all day long on Ebay for $65.
There was a guy on ebay doing porting for about $80. I used him and the results were good. I just did the stage one porting, but he can do stage 2 for $25 more. He also shaved my head and polished the dome.
anyways, the porting, some FMF reeds, pipe, larger carb and air filter will wake up the quad.

Old 07-15-2003, 09:56 PM
Trailblazer

alright
i will try and find a 34- 36mm
does it matter on the brand name or where i get it from ?
i know you can get stuff on ebay pretty cheap but this spring i got ripped off 200 bucks by some company that never shipped the item to me and i couldn't even get the insurance money

also i was wondering on anny suggestions for lighting on a lt 250
right now i have 2 fog lights mounted on a piece of sheet metal above the rad but i dont like the set up
anny suggestions would be helpful