Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

I wanna feel it not hear it. Is there a quiet Banshee pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2000, 12:05 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm on the verge of buying my first ATV in 15 yrs. The area where I live is pretty built up now. Is there a truly quiet pipe for a Banshee? My friend has a stock 99 Warrior and I could live with that sound level.

Old 05-18-2000, 01:19 AM
Pro Rider

You'll always get noise from the pressure(sound) waves within the expansion chamber. As to noise output from the silencers, I would reccommned the Cascase CFSX Silencer. We have stringent noise requirements out here in the dunes, and the Cascade silencers have always passed. The max level is 93 dB, and I've personally seen Cascades come in at 88 dB. Try snooping around this site for the write up on them: http://www.oohva.org

Old 05-18-2000, 04:40 AM
Trailblazer

You should not have any problems with a Banshee with stock pipes. It's the aftermarket that will get you in trouble.

As Backcountry suggested, an extra quiet silencer will help greatly. But there is another source of noise that is not regulated or tested. The pipe. The aftermarket single wall pipes (the stockers are dual wall with insulation between them) makes a lot of noise.

On Ricks suggestion, I put some pipe wrap on my FMF pipe. It almost as quiet as stock. Been working really well. As an added bonus, I gained quite a bit topend. The only drawback in the burlap look.

With work, you can get the power, and still keep the noise down.

YFS200

P.S. My FMF TCII (the old style) puts out 93db. It's falling apart and has been welded 3 times, but the new style FMF puts out 98db. Too loud.

Backcountry: I thought the current sound max sound level was 99db.

Old 05-18-2000, 09:10 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw a 99 Banshee with tommies and it has another can that came off the end of the 2 pipes and comes out 2 one exhaust. It was really quiet. I saw this in dirtwheels they have an ad for this silencer

Old 05-18-2000, 09:45 AM
Pro Rider

In Oregon State Lands the max dB is 99(also I think national forests too), however, in the Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area it's 93 dB. There was some discussion of going down to 91 dB next year, but the Nervous Service (Forest service), said that there has been decent compliance with the 93 dB limit and therefore they are thinking of not implementing that. 93 is tough to get to, you get your compression up much and you simply cannot get it to be quite the "pop" is too loud. Thankfully as a Honda rider I'm not as much of a target as the "twins".

Talk about law enforcement profiling, if they see a Banshee with a Toomey hush kit or Cascade silencers they won't bug ya. Have any other silencer, especially the Toomey stingers....come talk to me son. Honda riders don't get it as much, but again if you've got a FMF Powercore silencer or again a Cascade silencer, ride on, PTR FatBoy...come talk to me son.

I'm thinking of trying a new set-up on my drag pipe. In snowmobile and some kart application the stinger exits in the middle of the parallel wall section(the "belly"). Jennings addressed this slightly a ways back and there was a few dB drop without any performance loss. The pressure waves pass past the opening, hence it being quiter(less "pop"), but the pressure withing the exp. chamber bleeds off at nearly the same rate. So this is something that I may try to do.