Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

best sprocket manufacturer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 03:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best sprocket manufacturer?

i'm 15 years old and the little bit of money that i have will not be wasted. thanx for the info about sidewinder. i dont' understand how they can make a sprocket that doesn't fit over the hub? ne way, i've looked at their website before, and it's impossible for me to get pricing and chain sizing info off their site. i've e-mailed them 5 times, and called them twice. they still have not answered my questions. i'm gonna start looking into sun star now. thanx guys.

Old 07-22-2003, 05:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

here we go again, giving out information that is going to sway somebody from a great sprocket.

Sindwinder is one of the only companies that actually laser cuts their gears, not cnc's them. Thats incredible quality control.

I dont know what you run, but if its a honda like ours if you used your half witted brain for just a second, you'd realize all you had to do was slide your axle out about 4 inches. And then your sprocket could be maneuvered to fit over the sprocket hub. There was no reason for you to take the whole thing off.

Maybe next time you should ask for manual to aid you in this time of need

Old 07-22-2003, 05:23 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DaBeechMan
here we go again, giving out information that is going to sway somebody from a great sprocket.

Sindwinder is one of the only companies that actually laser cuts their gears, not cnc's them. Thats incredible quality control.

I dont know what you run, but if its a honda like ours if you used your half witted brain for just a second, you'd realize all you had to do was slide your axle out about 4 inches. And then your sprocket could be maneuvered to fit over the sprocket hub. There was no reason for you to take the whole thing off.

Maybe next time you should ask for manual to aid you in this time of need
Wow, what do you know, somebody has the gonads to call me half-witted when when I post something like that. Hey idiot, they are making laser cuts in the wrong place. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I suppose they meant to make the cuts in the wrong place? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] Or, that the other sprockets they offer that do fit over the sprocket hub, are actually wrong?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] Besides, its NOT a Honda, (im sorry is this a Honda forum - Helloooooooo) and it would not fit by maneuvering the axle out 4". Bombardier has the smarts (along with every other sprocket manufacturer) to actually fit over the sprocket hub. Therefore, no manual or instructions are needed - its not a matter of figuring it out, its a matter of quality control. Those sprockets should have been pulled from production, or the customer should be notified at the time of purchase so that they can make a qualified decision. - Laser precision --- WTF? Garbage in, garbage out man.

Hey, If somebody wants to buy a $120 Bombardier sprocket and then , yes, TAKE OUT THE AXLE to get the sprocket on the hub, then more power to them. Information is a good thing, dont you think? Unless of course, sombody didn't want the information out. And why might that be?

Welcome to America idiot. Buyer beware. To everyone else, I would suggest asking the sales rep if the sprocket fits over the hub on your quad. Have a nice day.

Next?

Old 07-22-2003, 05:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

how am i the idiot? your the guy who couldnt figure out how to put your sprocket on.

Furthermore, if you spent 120 bucks on your sprocket you need to find a better dealer. Perhaps me?

All my SW gears dont fit directly over my sprocket hub. Im running the new generation lonestar, but thats irrelivant.

Do you think by chance that the reason the sprockets are made at such a close fit is to reduce unsprung rotating mass?

Im not here intentionally trying to bash you (i promise) its just that sidewinder is the only company stepping it up, as far as sprocket technology goes. Sure there is SS and sunstar, ect. But nobody is working with the riders to make their products better, only sidewinder is.

Old 07-22-2003, 05:36 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DaBeechMan
how am i the idiot? your the guy who couldnt figure out how to put your sprocket on.

Furthermore, if you spent 120 bucks on your sprocket you need to find a better dealer. Perhaps me?

All my SW gears dont fit directly over my sprocket hub. Im running the new generation lonestar, but thats irrelivant.

Do you think by chance that the reason the sprockets are made at such a close fit is to reduce unsprung rotating mass?

Im not here intentionally trying to bash you (i promise) its just that sidewinder is the only company stepping it up, as far as sprocket technology goes. Sure there is SS and sunstar, ect. But nobody is working with the riders to make their products better, only sidewinder is.
You're the idiot because you are missing the point - IT DOES NOT FIT OVER THE SPROCKET HUB. IT WAS MISDESIGNED AND THEY ADMIT IT. Lightbulbs?

Old 07-22-2003, 05:45 PM
Pro Rider

I dont think your bashing me, I just think you should read the posts in the thread before you make a statement like that. I clearly mentioned that they admited (After I made the purchase) that it would not fit unless the axle was removed entirely. I too realize that there are sprockets with tight tolerances. But this was not an issue of tight tolerances.

By the way, I am a dealer too, and there is no way I would ever subject my customers to that kind of shoddy quality control. You say they are willing to work with customers, I was totally willing to help them with their design change and even carry thier product - they only wanted to get rid of what they had on thier shelf. Tsk Tsk Tsk. not good.

In my humble opinion, if they spent the money for a laser cutting machine, you'd think they'd at least tell the machine to cut the material in the right place. The only other thought here is that they are using a sprocket from another motorcycle or quad and labeling it as a Bombardier to sell them. Again, I don't much care for their marketing technique if thats the case.

Old 07-22-2003, 06:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

ive heard of a few companies mis-pakaging their sprockets. Its possible you got one of them. Its pretty hard even for a laser to make a bad cut.

And yes, i have incredibly large gonads. I just need to figure out how to put them to use

Old 07-22-2003, 07:15 PM
Pro Rider

dang, u guys must care a lot about ur sprockets. first off, i have absolutely no clue how to "slide my axle out". so therefore, i would have to take my quad in to a shop to have them put on a sprocket. also, i'm looking for a front sprocket, so the axle doesn't even matter. i must say that i would expect the sprocket to fit over the axle tho. i am running a honda, as i said earlier, so dabeechman was right on about honda stuff. however, i must agree with ironrod, if they r cutting the sprockets with lasers, then u would think that they would cut them so that the sprocket will fit over the hub. also, do either of u know of the website for sun star? and do u know of any other good sprocket companies, and i'm not buying from sidewinder, unless the dealer can assure me that the sprocket will fit over the hub, or that he will get the sprocket on (if it doesn't fit over the hub) within 24 hours of receiving the sprocket (if he doesn't have it in stock). also, if i go down just 1 tooth on my front sprocket, then do i need to get a shorter chain?

Old 07-22-2003, 07:29 PM
Pro Rider

Actually the problem we are having on these forums is information. I understand one guy on here had a problem. He expressed his opinion, and told of his problem. That's a good thing. I chimed in and stated I had excellent luck with Sidewinder. So who's right? I have no doubt he had a problem, but does that mean that everyone will have the same? I've bought 4 sprockets from them. No problems at all. I've also NEVER had to take off my axle to get any of them on.

Putting a front sprocket on should be no challenge at all, if you're even the least bit mechanically inclined. I'm sure someone on here can tell you exactly how. Save yourself some money, rather than paying the dealer. It's also something that will need to be done on occasion, so you really should know how.

You really shouldn't have to shorten the chain, unless it's already real loose. Just take out a link or two if that's the case.

This is one reason why it's important to read all the posts, and draw your own conclusion.

Old 07-22-2003, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider

Predator03,

You're all good! Thanks! Like you, I say give people the info and let them decide. If I could find a sprocket that was as hard as their tool steel that fit right, I'd be the first to buy it. Maybe some inventing person will read these posts and make the investment.

Cheers!

Quick Reply: best sprocket manufacturer?