Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

best sprocket manufacturer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 04:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best sprocket manufacturer?

i have a honda 300EX with stock gearing. i'm looking to go down to a 12 tooth front sprocket. what company should i get it from? i'm looking for something light that wont wear out quick. however, i'm not looking to spend 50 or 60 dollars on a front sprocket. thanx for the help.

Old 07-22-2003, 05:51 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

sun star, sidewinder, sprocket specialties are a few. You'll spend around 20-30 bucks for a front sprocket

Old 07-22-2003, 11:25 AM
Pro Rider

Sidewinder is a big thumbs down for me. Any sprocket that does not fit over the sprocket hub, should not be marketed.

Old 07-22-2003, 11:34 AM
Pro Rider

I've had excellent luck with Sidewinder. They can be pricey, but you usually get what you pay for.

Old 07-22-2003, 11:56 AM
Pro Rider

If you get sidewinder, make sure you ask them if the sprocket will fit over the sprocket hub. Removal of the axle and axle carrier to change out a sprocket is unacceptable to me. Also, be leary if your sales guy wants to "throw in" a few cans of their own chain lubricant. My sales guy decided to "throw in" 4 cans of that **** with a $50 charge on my Visa. To made things worse, it rusts my chain. I tried to talk to the owner about the problems, but the sales guy said he was in the Bahamas on vacation. Riiiiiight. It appears he got what I paid for.

Old 07-22-2003, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry to hear of your troubles with Sidewinder. However, he was looking for a front sprocket. As far as the lube goes, I think it's pretty good stuff myself. I will agree though, he is a good salesman.

Old 07-22-2003, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider

Good? No good salesman needs deception to sell a product. Sorry man, you are WAY off base on that. WTF?

Old 07-22-2003, 12:27 PM
Pro Rider

I said the part about good salesman tongue in cheek, you know? Did you tell him no, and he charged you anyways? He led you to believe you were getting 4 cans of lube at 12 bucks a shot for free? If you would told him no I don't want any lube, I don't think you would have gotten any, or would have been charged for it.

I'm not sticking up for the guy, but he is a salesman. Did you think you were talking to the Pope? I was only really commenting on the quality of their sprockets. If you want to be mad at him for suckering you, I don't blame you. But that front sprocket they sell is very high quality, imo.

Old 07-22-2003, 12:29 PM
Pro Rider

he sold you 4 cans for 50$ must be a pretty good salesman

Old 07-22-2003, 01:01 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Predator03
I said the part about good salesman tongue in cheek, you know? Did you tell him no, and he charged you anyways? He led you to believe you were getting 4 cans of lube at 12 bucks a shot for free? If you would told him no I don't want any lube, I don't think you would have gotten any, or would have been charged for it.

I'm not sticking up for the guy, but he is a salesman. Did you think you were talking to the Pope? I was only really commenting on the quality of their sprockets. If you want to be mad at him for suckering you, I don't blame you. But that front sprocket they sell is very high quality, imo.
Tougue and cheek comments are hard to understand if I dont see your tougue or cheek. Just so you know, I'm no greenhorn when it comes to ATV parts, and I have no problem exposing scams. While some of their sprockets are probably fine, to market a sprocket that does not fit over the sprocket hub, and sell it for over $100, is nothing short of a total quality control failure. Now, if I was told a head of time, that these sprockets had the problem mentioned, perhaps I could have negotiated with him on a better price or at least would have known what I was getting into. From my follow up discussions, the sales guy did in fact know that the rear sprocket for the DS650 was defective.

I think the purpose behind these forums can best be summed up by everyone's experience. Personally, I don't give a rip about the money, and I have sprockets up to my neck and I keep thier chain lube as a trophey for what not to do, right along side my HiperTech DS650 wheels. But I would never subject anyone of my quad friends to SOME of the quality issues that they clearly have. Me, I want the best manufacturer with the best service.

Additionally, does it make sence that if they have a quality control so obviously wrong, that they might have other quality control issues with other sprockets? Also, if the salesman knew there was a problem, and they sold the sprocket anyways, doesn't that tell you they are more concerned about dumping bad products than keeping happy customers? And, if both of those are true, do you really want to support someone with that mentality?

To each his own dude! Do you feel lucky?

Quick Reply: best sprocket manufacturer?