Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

need help with fitting a pipe

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003 | 07:21 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default need help with fitting a pipe

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] l have the suzuki 230, with the rm 250 motor in it. l need to find a pipe that will fit right, l'm having a problem with the gas tank rubbing it now. As you can see in my pics the pipe got pretty beat up in the process, tried a zilla DG pipe could'nt get it to fit. Also tried pipes off of yz 250, rm 250, cr 250, atc 250...etc. Can anybody help me on this issue?

Old 07-28-2003 | 07:32 PM

your gonna have to have somebody make you a pipe that will fit perfectly.

Old 07-28-2003 | 07:40 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

l called DG and Pro Circuit, they said they needed to many measurements to even take the time to consider it. l just figured maybe l could 1 find a pipe to fit, or 2 move the motor to a different position[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]. l can only go front or back, really only front, air filter will get sqaushed. l getting pretty agravated with this problem, but what do you do, can't really complain only paid $100 bucks.

Old 07-28-2003 | 09:10 PM

take it to a welder and pay him to fix the pipe to fit it. just buy a pipe and have him cut it up then reweld it to fit.

Old 08-04-2003 | 10:00 PM
Pro Rider

This is the biggest pain with motor swaps. Pipe fit. Can you weld? If so I would say try fitting one yourself. It's pretty time consuming but you will be very proud of yourself (even if it's ugly!). The basic idea is to cut angled slivers out of the pipe and rotate them to make a bend. Then weld back together. A simple example. Picture a strait tube. Now cut it in half with an angled cut. Now rotate one piece and hold the two together. It's now bent. Do you get it? The less cuts the better because every cut makes the pipe about .06" shorter. Don't worry about it. Try it on a cheap crap pipe. What do have to loose? I use a "000" tip on a torch to weld them. It takes a bit to figure it out. I know guys who use a mig welder and it works. Just not as pretty. Also try to make the angle cuts small. Around 7 degrees is fine. That will make a 14 degree bend. Cut out a few "tappered rings" and rotate them around and use tape to hold them while you see the pipe start to fit. Be patient, it will come.

Old 08-06-2003 | 10:34 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

thank you very much for the info, now that l have some idea on what l can do myself. l have a DG pipe for a lt500, it was free so l'll try that. Someone told me you have to braze weld the pipe, l don't know all new to me.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] l do really thank you for your advice.