Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

ceramic coating

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2000, 03:46 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

was wondering if anyone had ceramic coated there exhaust? If so does it peel or crack or anything like that? Does it really help with the heat of the motor or is that just a claim?

Thanks David Chapman

Old 05-26-2000, 12:32 PM
Range Rover

I didnt get mine ceramic coated but I did have them coated. I went to a local auto store and bought some high temp engine clear coat spray paint. I think it is made by duplicolor. It is rated upto 1300 degrees. I used the whole can on both pipes. I did this at the beginning of last summer, still no chips, cracks, rust, or peeling. It gives the pipes a cool shine too.

Old 05-27-2000, 11:56 AM
Trailblazer

I had a pipe for my warrior coated, the mud is easy to clean off, and looks great.

Old 05-27-2000, 06:23 PM
r34
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the tubular exhaust ceramic coated on my truck, and it is awesome... engine compartment temperatures are reduced in a big way.... no burnt plug wires.... and no color changes, they look the same as they did when I put them on a year ago.
Highly recommended, and durable... after all, NASA uses this product on the Space Shuttle for heat deflection, and they don't mess around with inferior products.

Old 05-29-2000, 01:19 PM
Pro Rider

Go To Jet-hot.com, I did my 400cc Warrior head pipe, and a buddy has sent down his Toomeys too.

Single pipe price was $65, mud washes right off,and its a satin silver finish. No peeling or discolor yet, and they give you a free recoat if needed............now thats a warrenty.

Old 08-10-2001, 04:20 PM
Trailblazer

Theres Jet hot, and Ceramic right? The Jet hot coating being the chrome like finish, and then the ceramic is the duller finish. Can both of these be done to say, a 400ex oil tank?? anyone know of a place in MN that does this?

Old 08-10-2001, 05:38 PM
Pro Rider

jet-hot.com doesn't work for me. I've heard of it before and it looks real cool. Do you think it would work on a liquid cooled cylinder and head from a dirtbike?

Old 08-10-2001, 05:50 PM
Trailblazer

High Performance Coatings has lots of coatings for things from pistons to pipes. They say it doesn't blue and cools down parts and doesn't rust or oxidize. I'm sending my pipe out to get it coated for $70. Go to hpcoatings.com

Old 08-13-2001, 10:12 AM
Pro Rider

If you have an automotive detail spray gun and a large enough oven you can do the coating yourself. Most likely cheaper and definately less turn-around time.

Go to: www.techlinecoatings.com and check our their CermaChrome finish. Sand blast the pipe, shoot the coating, let it dry, bake it for about an hour at 350*...wa-la coated pipe...You can make a spray bar to be able to coat the inside as well, though that's a little harder to do.

This applies for piston coatins as well. Tech Line has a coating kit that has a dry film lubricant coating(piston skirts) and a ceramic-type reflective barrier coating(piston crowns). Most places charge $35 to coat a piston, the kit if $60 and will do about 10-15 ATV pistons...If you have a Banshee the kit pays for itself first time use.

Old 08-13-2001, 05:15 PM
Pro Rider

Blazin-Banshee - I recently went through this process and feel I should warn you. If you are planning on doing this to a 2 stoke, please use caution. Here is why..

I recently purchased a pipe for my 250R. I did not get it chromed because for a little bit less, I could have it coated inside and out with ceramic coating. Everything I have heard spelled benefits, such as less heat on the outside, better wear, no rust etc. But one thing that I did realize is this. It will affect the performance of your pipe! How do I know…when I installed the pipe it blew off the motor, hit the frame and put a large whole in the exhaust pipe. I call it my $290 (pipe and coating) mistake.

Here is what happened and why…

A 2 stroke exhaust is made to send a shock wave back to the cylinder to stop the flow of fresh fuel/air from coming out, until the piston moves past the exhaust port. The timing of this wave is how a pipe differs between a “low end” pipe and a “high end” pipe. Now here is where the ceramic coating comes into play. Since the ceramic coating is used to keep the heat inside the pipe, where is CAN (not always) do some good. You see hot gases move faster than cooler ones. So when I installed the ceramic pipe, the exhaust gases where moving a lot faster than before. This caused unburned fuel/air to enter the pipe and exploding inside the pipe itself.

Basically, unless the pipe (and somewhat of the motor) is set up to handle this extra heat – faster moving exhaust, you could be hurting the performance more than helping.

Now if it is a 4 stroke, then by all means go ahead. You see a 4 stroke motor has valves to close off the cylinder / intake. The only function (most important at least) of a 4 stroke exhaust is to remove the spent gases. And a ceramic coating will help in that area.

Let ask you this…how many dirt bike (in other words BIG DOLLAR) professional teams ceramic coat their 2 stroke exhaust?

Quick Reply: ceramic coating