Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

air shifter...huh??

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air shifter...huh??

i herd of this air shifter. now i want to know if this will hurt my tranny or cluch on my yfz450. also is this alowed on the track?!

Old 08-26-2003, 01:54 AM
Elite Pro Rider

An air shifter is basically for drag racing. You dont need to use the clutch and it shifts faster. Its not good for the tranny or clutch. And unless you are a SERIOUS drag racer then stick to your clutch

Old 08-28-2003, 02:17 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BigBadScrambler
An air shifter is basically for drag racing. You dont need to use the clutch and it shifts faster. Its not good for the tranny or clutch. And unless you are a SERIOUS drag racer then stick to your clutch
he's right!!

kc

Old 08-28-2003, 07:26 PM
Pro Rider

I would think that if you are looking to use an air shifter, you would also want to use an electric shifter(maybe called something else) which will momentarily interrupt the ingition, unloading the tranny for full throttle upshifts. a lot of the superbike racing guys/gals use these(or they use to at least) also drag racers. Check with pingel racing(not sure on the website) they might be able to help or direct you in the right direction.

I wouldn't know from experience, but I would think an air/electric shifter combo set up correctly would be just as good as and override tranny, only allowing you to still trail ride easily(just don't use the air shifter.

Good luck.

Old 08-29-2003, 09:29 PM
Pro Rider

thanks, ends up my freind has an aor shifter that wasn't put on right and he blew his cluch!!!