Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Should I put Drag Pipes on my Banshee?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2000, 01:21 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 98 Lonestar Banshee with the stock plastic, nerf bars, etc. The engine is ported, polished, bored, Wiseco pistons, coolhead w/18cc domes, Keihn 35mm Air Strykers, etc.

I currently have Paul Turner Hi-Rev pipes and Silencers.

I am thinking about buying some drag pipes. My questions are as follows:

1. Will they change the jetting?

2. Considering the plastic is not cut or modified and all of the stock footpegs, nerf bars, fender supports, etc. are still there, will the Drag Pipes fit without modifications to these items?

3. Do the Drag Pipes extend out further than the front and rear tires, plastic, etc. making it more difficult to load into my trailer (I have width restrictions and cannot go any wider)? In other words, will the width of my Banshee change or do the pipes not extend out any further than the current widest part of the bike?

5. Do rocks get thrown up by the front tires and dent the pipes?

6. Are they so much in the way that you should expect burns on your legs when you ride (like FMF's, Toomey's, etc.)

7. Do they make it more difficult to get on and off the bike?

8. Should I get them with the Silencers built in or attached to the ends?

9. Lastly, who makes the best drag pipes and where can I get a set?

Any experience would be greatly appreciated!

Old 06-06-2000, 02:33 AM
Pro Rider

Take a look at my website. Every bike on there has drag pipes and you should be able to look and answer most of the questions for yourself. I really do not think drag pipes are a necesity unless you are drag racing. I think you should check into the CPI in frame drag pipes. They make as much power as the side pipes, but fit into the frame. They really run great, they kill the tommeys! If you go with side pipes get the silencers built in. Power pro's seem to be the most favored. They are the pipe that CT and port magic sell. I really think the cpi's would be the best choice considering your questions you have.

Old 06-06-2000, 07:03 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the info. I called Alan at CT and obtained info on their pipes. I'm now thinking about buying a set!

I now have another concern: I ride in a little in the desert, some along the beach, dune a bit and drag race some.

Will the Drag Pipes be more likely to break along the brackets or in the tubes due to the flexing of the bike under the above conditions, or will they have the same structure resilliancy as my Paul Turner pipes?

In other words, are Drag Pipes more likely to suffer from stress cracking and breaking than any other aftermarket pipe?

Old 06-06-2000, 08:05 PM
Pro Rider

The tips do tend to be structuraly week because there is nothing supporting them. I havent seent the CT pipes do this though. I have seen teh mounting brackets break, but rarely. I really dont think youn will want to do any jumping with them for sure! If your put a rubber bushing between the brackets, top and bottom, when you bolt them on, it will help absorb allot of the vibrations. Drag pipes can be flat on the bottom. The Power Pro's(CT) are a very top ended pipe, so be prepared for that. They do do pull somewhat on the bottom, just not like a tuck in.

Old 06-08-2000, 03:20 AM
Pro Rider

Will the rubber bushings be enough to allow me to desert ride, dune and take small jumps?

Or am I risking breaking the pipes and/or the brackets?

I really like the CT Drag Pipes since they have the silencers built in, fit onto a stock bike (stock plastic, nerfs, etc.) and the price is right ($600 chromed)!!!

Any feedback or experience out there?

Old 06-08-2000, 11:05 AM
Pro Rider

They should help, but I would never recommend jumping with drag pipes. They just do not have the support and moutning points of inframe pipes. Those pipes are pretty solid though and they may be alright.

Old 06-09-2000, 02:14 PM
Trailblazer

Based on the types of questions you have been asking, i think you should just stick with the in-frame style pipes. I always thought that drag pipes were purpose built to do one thing - drag race - i guess that is why they call them DRAG pipes. If you want to any type of trail riding or jumping or just duning, i don't think drag pipes are for you. They are also quite a bit louder than regular pipes, which may get annoying if you are out joy riding...