Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Which frame to use with a 1000cc triple

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2003, 10:01 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which frame to use with a 1000cc triple

i have seen a triple 1000cc two stroke engine on a 500 quadzilla frame and i got a pic. But i dont know how to put it in the thread so contact me if you want to see it

Old 12-15-2003, 03:29 AM
Pro Rider

there is a gentleman over here in hillsboro oregon that has built several small buggys and installed rotax engines with the cvt clutchs. I think a couple of them where 600 rotax. I have made one of these frames myself, but I have a 600 yamaha street bike engine. the frame is a little bigger than a oddessey frame. with a single seat. it probably weighs around 600 pounds. I have seen these things smoke banshees. not out of the hole, but allready rolling. I am not bashing banshees at all. but a sled motor would make a great drag qaud. it would make a better all around dune machine in a small dune buggy frame if you use a cvt. unless you don't mind hanging your left leg way out there, then a qaud frame would be o.k. I think he might be selling rolling chassis in any stage of the build you want.

there was a guy with a bashee for sale at florence a couple of months ago that had a twin rotax head mated to the banshee gear box. he said it was easy to adapt. he also blew everybody away on comp hill that day to.

Old 12-15-2003, 09:04 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: busmechanic
there is a gentleman over here in hillsboro oregon that has built several small buggys and installed rotax engines with the cvt clutchs. I think a couple of them where 600 rotax. I have made one of these frames myself, but I have a 600 yamaha street bike engine. the frame is a little bigger than a oddessey frame. with a single seat. it probably weighs around 600 pounds. I have seen these things smoke banshees. not out of the hole, but allready rolling. I am not bashing banshees at all. but a sled motor would make a great drag qaud. it would make a better all around dune machine in a small dune buggy frame if you use a cvt. unless you don't mind hanging your left leg way out there, then a qaud frame would be o.k. I think he might be selling rolling chassis in any stage of the build you want.

there was a guy with a bashee for sale at florence a couple of months ago that had a twin rotax head mated to the banshee gear box. he said it was easy to adapt. he also blew everybody away on comp hill that day to.

Frigin' sleds fly with their engines and they are heavier than quads. My Mach 1 will rev up to 8000RPM I think and get past about 100MPH.

Old 12-15-2003, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

i've ridden sleds, and quads. there's no doubt that a sleds rip. they r fast as sh*t! the problem is that they r designed to work in a sled, not a quad. i have a hard time beleiving that there is a 600cc + sled engine that only weighs 115 lbs. the engine from my 400EX (397cc) weighs 90 lbs. that extra 200cc+ would make the engine a lot bigger, so unless it's made of titanium, or aluminum, or some other light metal, i find it hard to beleive that the bigger engine weighs les than 120 lbs. now if somebody wants to explain how this is possible, by all means, please do.

Old 12-17-2003, 02:41 PM
Range Rover

I just took the 600cc engine out of my ZR600 and lifted it out myself. I can't see it weighing more than approximately 100lbs. I am 5'9" 180 lbs. Yeah it was heavy, but could not have been more than 130lbs. Sled engines are basically the same as ATV engines, expecially twin engines like Banshees. The reason your 400EX engine weighs so much is because it has a camshaft, associated valve train, transmission, and wet clutch. Sled engines are 2-strokes and yes, they are aluminum (except for crank and rods). they have a CVT with only the drive clutch as part of the engine assembly.

Hope this helps.

Yeah, I like my 250r, but nothing beats 100mph plus down a county road with a fresh 6 inches of powder.

Old 12-18-2003, 08:53 PM
mrh
Trailblazer

I am new to the quad industry but I come from a hipo sled background and what baffles me is how little hp a quad makes. I can give some real world weights and hp numbers.

My last two sled motors were based off of Polaris Ultra motors and were big bores. One was a 900cc and the other a 1029cc, both weighed approx 94lbs with carbs and all electronics - ready to run. The 900 made 202hp at 8600 rpm and the 1029 made 227 hp at 8800 rpm. They were both aggressive trail ported with the 900 on 30% race gas, while the 1029 could run pump. The 1029 could turn 260hp in race port and compression trim.

My 1029 sled weighed 460lbs dry.

So I could see you maybe adding 20-30lbs and should net at least 50rwhp.

Real world on a thundercat is about 160 crank hp and they are a heavy motor comparatively - so I would think it would weigh approx 140lbs.

Old 12-19-2003, 01:40 AM
Pro Rider

bigblock2stroke, thanx for the info. i forgot that the sleds r 2 strokes, and i didn't realize that they were made of aluminum.

Old 12-19-2003, 11:50 AM
Range Rover

If your out to build the fastest and baddest machine out there,theres probably better engine/chassis combos to use,not to mention cheaper.

But don't let some jerks ruin your dream of something different.If it wasn't for curious people,we would have never seen Kawi tripples or streetbike motors in quad frames.

If you have the Capital$$$ and time ,go for it.Or you can be like everyone else and build a 500cc Banshee motor.

I have alot more respect for the quads with unorthodox engines.Especially if they were done right.They show ingenuity and craftsmanship,even if they aren't the fastest things on the dunes.

Old 12-20-2003, 04:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

not bashing here (seriously) but i think just the fact that a 500cc banshee motor is running aftermarket cylinders and cranks makes them a much more engineering marvel, compared to the bolt in sled motors. But thats just me

You'd be suprised at the amount of sled motors running around

A kawi triple (h2) has ran a best of 3.5 in the 100 yards. Damn fast streetbike motor. Not bad for a 30 year old motor!

Old 12-20-2003, 08:12 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have to agree with DaBeechMan here, on all points.
Streetbike/sled motors in quads don't impress me in the engineerring dept or their times in 300'......from what I have seen anyway.

Quick Reply: Which frame to use with a 1000cc triple