Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Have no spark at spark plug ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2000, 11:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 95 Banshee and I just got the top end bored 20 over with wiseco pistons. The only way it starts is if i catch it in gear.( Before i got the motor done it was the same way, wouldnt start easy). My dad and i looked at everything. We found out it wasnt getting any spark, and i guese it gets a small one once in awhile when you catch it in gear??

Anyways we went through all the wiring, everything is alright. Next we checked out the Stator but dont know how to tell if it is bad? And then we looked at all the black box;s. i think there is 4? anyways How can i tell what one is broken? Oh yeah by the way when it is running it doesn't idle it will stall out if i dont keep revving it up??

I am going to bring over my friends banshee tomorrow to switch the boxs and stator one at a time to see what is going on and pin point it.

but if anyone can tell me exactly what is wrong that would really help me out alot.

thanks,
brent

Old 07-07-2000, 01:33 AM
Range Rover

First of all, check all components with a multimeter using a service manual. Sometimes the stator will check out, but when running the resistance will climb and it will fail. I would start by swapping the CDI since it is easy to get at. If you have not disabled the TORS system yet, do it. Then check the stator, and coil. The absolute first thing I would do is check all of my switches with the meter, if need be disconnect the key and light/ignition switch at the plug. This will get them out of the system, and since it is an open system, you don't need the switches for it to run. In fact I don't have anything on my banshee besides a tether cord. If none of this works, swap out the wiring harness. I would suspect a dirty connection somewhere. I had a wiring harness overheat at the plug from the stator plug to the rest of the harness, it was burned, so I had to splice in a new plug. My machine would spark, but not enough to make it run. Good luck
eric

Old 07-07-2000, 11:38 AM
Pro Rider

try the next hotter plug. for instince. if you run br9es go to br8es or just replace the plug

Old 07-07-2000, 03:44 PM
Range Rover

I know you said no spark, but it sounds like a familiar problem. First, hard starting can be caused by worn reeds. But, have you tried pulling the choke on and see if the bike stays running? Or runs better. The reason I'm saying this is my brother's Banshee did the same thing, and it ended being debris stuck in his carb idle circuit, once you rev the bike up the other circuits take over and it ran fine. Pulling the choke allowed some more fuel to bleed into the carb, allowing the spark plug to ignite something, and actually make some power. Might want to look into that. Later

Old 07-07-2000, 03:46 PM
Range Rover

Oh yeah, if you try that and it doesn't seem to fix the problem, let me know and I might be able to help you out with a $15 dollar CDI unit, for eliminating that problem. Later

Old 07-07-2000, 10:31 PM
Pro Rider

Hey today i put a meter on all the sockets and comparded the readings to my friends same year banshee. They were about the same. So we switched every single box one at a time and it ran fine in his quad. we didnt switch the stator but we are sure it is ok. Oh yeah, before i was pulling both plugs out and touching one plug to metal and not the other one and kicking it looking for a spark. turns out i found out you have to have both plugs touching metal for it to spark. so they are sparking.

I called the motor shop and told them my problems, and they said 99% it is dirt in your carbs. So tonight i am cleaning them really really clean, since i just cleaned them 1 week ago. I hope this solves it, it should because there is nothing else i didnt do, besides put new reeds in, i think i will they look alittle worn,

thanks

Old 07-08-2000, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider

I would put a filter on the fuel line when i am done othen than that i don't know