Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

streetbike engines

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 08:55 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default streetbike engines

I would be afraid to jump anything that has an engine from a street bike in it. You are talking about adding easy a couple of hundred pounds. I would be afraid to snap the quad, no matter what kind, in half from the extra vibes and weight!! CBR1000..... wasnt that a 4 cyclender!! Can you imagine adding two to three hundred extra pounds then hitting some whoops like yer dating it??!! That’s ganna leave a mark!!

Ca

Old 03-06-2004, 02:00 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Chromezilla
I would be afraid to jump anything that has an engine from a street bike in it. You are talking about adding easy a couple of hundred pounds. I would be afraid to snap the quad, no matter what kind, in half from the extra vibes and weight!! CBR1000..... wasnt that a 4 cyclender!! Can you imagine adding two to three hundred extra pounds then hitting some whoops like yer dating it??!! That’s ganna leave a mark!!

Ca
Are you scared! j/k

If it's built properly it will not snap in two! The biggest problem is the cg of the quad but done right they can be ridden through the whoops. It just takes the right suspension and ride heigth.

Old 03-06-2004, 10:32 PM
Pro Rider

a guy from where i live has adapted a hobbie of this sorta thing.... he has a stretched blaster with a 500cc snowmobile engine in which he fabricated the swingarm and frame for. He also has a lonestar lookalike frame which he built from the ground up with a 750cc triple 2 stroke snowmobile engine in and he built a 750 katana motor then went to the junjyard and pulled a turbo off a old pontiac sunbird and fabbed it on and that engine is in an old lt250frame!

Old 03-06-2004, 11:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

bad350twin can you get us some pictures of these quads? I would love to see some pictures.

Oldsandman, I have been toying with the idea of building an off road cart type thing. Sort of like a pilot with a big engine in it. Can you recomend a good engine for me? Or better yet, can you recomend engines to stay away from. I just missed a 1100 zuk for a $100 bucks. I like that engine because I used to own one. I could pick up a Honda 750 cheap because they are old. What do you think?

One other thing. Does anybody think I can spring this thing like a stadium truck. Those things amaze me on how soft they land!!! Like they land in a big pillow!!!! My back is not in the best shape and I don't even want to do this if I can't make it ride like a feather. Any thoughts?

Old 03-07-2004, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider

dr. turbo, i will try to get some pics a.s.a.p , these quads are pretty amazing for being built out of a garage!

Old 03-07-2004, 01:11 AM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.

Duneittilude, how about $3500 with new exhaust and those Taller Haulers are pricey. He got a steal on the CBR as it came with a new set of plastic.Guys, I wish I had pictures but I only took video of Doug jumping this thing. I did the welding so I wanted him to hammer on it hard before I'd sign off on it. Hows 4 ft of air on a 660lb bike? That's about 150 more than a DS or a DS with a passenger. It trial rides pretty darn good. We used a DS rear shock for no linkage and I made a new upper mount with extra bracing. It looks factory. Believe me, this thing is much tougher than a stock CBR frame and I doubt thats very weak.
Dune, We're only about 45 miles apart, call me up some evening and I could take you over to Dougs to see the bike, It's half apart so you could really see what went into it.
541-258-5480 Kevin

Old 03-07-2004, 12:58 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Doctorturbo

Oldsandman, I have been toying with the idea of building an off road cart type thing. Sort of like a pilot with a big engine in it. Can you recomend a good engine for me? Or better yet, can you recomend engines to stay away from. I just missed a 1100 zuk for a $100 bucks. I like that engine because I used to own one. I could pick up a Honda 750 cheap because they are old. What do you think?

One other thing. Does anybody think I can spring this thing like a stadium truck. Those things amaze me on how soft they land!!! Like they land in a big pillow!!!! My back is not in the best shape and I don't even want to do this if I can't make it ride like a feather. Any thoughts?
I like the newer water cooled engines, the air cooled are easier to use but can be a pain in the heat. Any of the newer engines will work great I use the hondas because I'm more familiar with them. I know lots of people who like the gsxr's and the hayabusa motors are big now in the cars. Take a look at these:

Text

Old 03-07-2004, 01:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Thanks for your thoughts sandman. If I do this, I want to make mine way smaller than the ones in your link. About pilot size or so. The only thing I'm woried about is the suspension. I have to get it soft, so I have to get the shocks right the first time. Thanks again.

Old 08-31-2004, 12:28 AM
Trailblazer

anyone here ever go to houser flats??? i am trying to get some streetbike quad guys together for a weekend

Old 08-31-2004, 12:50 PM
Trailblazer

gsxrquadracer1000, what have you topped off at? I would think not much more than 140. What sprocets are you using? I know that above 140 aerodynamics play more into it than rawpower ie: I can do 160 with a backpack on but take it off and I have hit 181 with rpms to spare.

Quick Reply: streetbike engines