Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Questions about different lockers, please help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 07:15 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about different lockers, please help.

OK i have a 2004 Honda Foreman S and even tho i havnt needed it yet i want to get a locker so i know all 4 wheels will turn when i need them to, now here is the catch! when i switch it to 2WD only thats what i want, 2WD ONLY. then when i switch to 4X4 the locker will kick in. what locker do i need? here are the different ones i am interested in:

High Lifter Spool Locker
detroit gearless locker

if the spool locker will do this that would be great because its only about $40.00! But i have a feeling my luck isnt going to be that good. And also will a spool or locker put premature ware on my ATV?
any help would be great.

Old 03-21-2004, 09:50 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What you need to look at is the WARN 424 system.I know some guys with these and they work great.You have your limited slip 4x4-straight 2x2-true 4x4.

Old 03-21-2004, 02:31 PM
Elite Pro Rider

A spool isnt going to be what you want. It will definetly be tough on parts, if youre in high traction driving. Especially tires. You need some differenial action in front. The detroit is probably a very good unit and shouldnt be real bad on steering on hard pack. It definetly gives you locked 4x4 when gas is on. If your looking for a quality solution, it aint gonna happen at 40 bucks.
Have you tried it stock? Im plenty satisfied with the way mine works. Like all systems, there are techniques for not getting stuck and getting unstuck. The suretrac front differential in that foreman is based on the landrover differential, and land rovers are known to go thru the bad stuff. Alot of time , its more the skill of the driver than the equipment, even locker equiped wheelers get stuck.

Old 03-21-2004, 03:15 PM
Trailblazer

i may look into the WARN 424, never gave it that much thinking. im happy with my 4WD now i havnt gotten stuck once, i only ride trails and a few semi steep hills when i run into them, i try to stay from deep mud/water. i will do my best to go around it if i can. maybe the foreman has all the 4X4 i need, ill ride it a little more on some more steep hills/ruts in the next few days and that will tell me if i need one or not.