Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

spiral head porting

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spiral head porting

hey everyone...i was talkin to this guy that used to build racecars in the 50s, and he was talking to me about cutting a spiral "rifle" pattern in to the intake ports on a head. anyone ever attemped this, or know a machine shop that does it?...i was thinkin about trying it out on something, just to see if it flowed and atomized the fuel any better. it sounds like it will work in theory...if done right. i might start experimenting with my dremel to see what kind of results i get...though i dont have a dyno to prove my results.

Old 03-27-2004, 01:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spiral head porting

I have heard of this but have never seen it. The only thing I can say is, it must not do too much because the big 3 and imports don't do it. With the casting technology they have now days they could cast something like this very easily. But then again they have something called "turtles". Or they used to? I have not seen them advertized in a while now. You may check into that and see what you come up with?
Another thing you might check into is "dimple" heads. I forget who came up with this, Bob Glidden?, Warren Johnson? This makes sence to me, but again, it sort of fell out of favor. It's on the same theory of putting dimples on a golf ball. Keeps surface drag down by keeping the air from dragging on the surface.
Who knows odysseyjunk, maybe you will be the next manufacture of trick quad intake and head parts?