Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

higher octane gas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 01:04 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default higher octane gas?

What does everybody run in their quad? Is it better to run a higher octane gas and why? Could you also use an octane boaster? Why is it that when you get a lot of work done to an engine that you have to run race gas with a higher octane?

Old 04-12-2004, 03:50 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

I use what my manufacture suggests, 87 or higher.
That depends if you need more octane. If you need it, ya it's better to run it. If not, no it's not better.
Sure, you could use an octane booster. I've seen good ones and I've seen very poor ones.
Because your trying to keep your engine away from detonation. If you get into detonation, your engine will go bang and the game is over.

Old 04-12-2004, 09:26 AM
RAJ
Pro Rider

I have always used 93 octane....BUT now I have too, because of the head work. And yes you can use a booster just watch how much you use. I do add a little in mine.

Old 04-12-2004, 11:21 AM
Pro Rider

what would happen if i used too much octane boaster? Could i use race gas even though it is stock?

Old 04-12-2004, 11:45 AM
RAJ
Pro Rider

You could burn a hole in the top of the pistion....I would not use race fuel, 93 octane is good enough.

Old 04-12-2004, 11:56 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

what would happen if i used too much octane boaster? Could i use race gas even though it is stock?
A few things I can think of.
#1. You would be spending money needlessly.
#2. You would slow the burn rate of the fuel down so much you could, and probably will loose power.
#3. If you use so much and are down on timing, I have seen pipes get cherry red because the burn rate is so slow a lot of the heat is going out the pipe.

Could i use race gas even though it is stock?
Sure, and you MAY pick up a very small amount of power. Or, depending of many things, you MAY loose a bit of power. But if your not in full out competition, whats to point? Gasoline prices are high enough without spending more money. But to each his own, you will do no harm using race gas in your quad, and it sure smells good!!!!Give it a shot and see what you think.

Old 04-12-2004, 02:21 PM
Trailblazer

Why is it that when you get a lot of work done to an engine that you have to run race gas with a higher octane?
Because when people get work done to their engines they go with high compression pistons. Once you get over 11:1 compression you run the risk of pre-detonation on pumped gas. I always tell people to build their engine with the highest compression that they can afford to buy gas for. That's probably not a good idea seeing how you lose a lot of reliability, but it's just my therory and he11 some people don't mind paying $5 for a gallon of cam2 (110 octane race fuel).

Old 04-12-2004, 02:28 PM
Trailblazer

i use 93 octane because i burns cleaner and i can notice the difference. with lower grade i do not seem to have as much power going up hills and things like that i also like to use a litlle octane boost here and there just do keep the carbs clean

Old 04-12-2004, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider

a high compression piston is the only thing that makes you use higher octane fuel? what is the highest compression piston you could use and still use pumped gas?

Old 04-12-2004, 11:43 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That depends on the bike and the piston manufacturer. Some pistons are higher in comp then their ratings, some lower, and some are pretty close.

Doc, Dont you ever get tired of answering these posts??? If only people could find the search button...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: higher octane gas?