Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

wolverine 36mm carb?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 09:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wolverine 36mm carb?

I have a 2001 wolverine with .20 wiseco high comp piston, white broth e series and all around cam, power filter, uni filters(air box lid mod), rejetted carb. I'm going to drill the clutch weights out to change the rpm engagement, and add a warn 424. I still have stock tires. Has anyone tried to put the 36mm mikuni carb on this with similar mods? I know that the 36mm carb had problems on stock machines, but I was wondering what the results might be had from a modified machine? I am also thinking of adding the pro-flow air filter unit instead of usign the stock set up. Any other mods suggested without having to stroke the motor? I kinda want to stay away from the manual clutch set-up, I like the semi-auto. Let me know.

Lucky 13[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-18-2004, 11:11 PM
Pro Rider

If you are referring to the 36mm carb that came on the wolverine from the factory in '95, then I am telling you it can be tuned in quite nicely. The major problem with the original setup was the lack of air flow through the air filter. My machine has almost all of the mods you can get from FST (less the 4th and 5th gear swapouts and the manual clutch). I have tweaked and tuned and have absolutely no stumble whatsoever when I pin the throttle. It just gets it. Now, I am not positive that these results are possible without adding a Dial-A-Jet (I have one on mine) and a swapout of the original pilot jet style. I had a slight stumble before and with some tuning assistance (an Oxygen sensor and a Air/Fuel meter) determined my only problem was in the pilot circuit. I accidently ended up with a different style pilot jet after placing an order and thought what the heck, I'll give it a try. Low and behold.. No stumble. Again, I am not positive that if one were to put the correct pilot jet (factory style) in that he/she would not get the same results, but here in the future, I will try to prove it one way or the other.

As a test to myself and a buddy, he has purchased a new carb for a warrior and we are going to change his out on his '03 Wolverine. At the same time, we are going to change his headpipe to the warrior version as well, as it is slightly larger (2-3mm if I recall) and will help it breath just a tad easier.

I hope this gives you a bit of some insight and prompts you to venture forward.

Ride On.

Old 04-19-2004, 11:06 AM
Weekend Warrior

Do you think I would get much better performance by doing this? What Might I expect? I was thinking of trying to find a warrior carb from a salvage yard. Maybe I could try the head pipe too? I presume you stroked your motor from FST. Did you go with the 440 or close to that? Have you had problems with the horsepower and the semi-auto clutch? Have you drilled your clutch weights? Let me know how your buddy's experiment goes.

lucky13[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 04-21-2004, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider

If you are looking for a carb or a headpipe, check yahoo. In fact, that same buddy ended up with two headpipes off of e'bay so he has a spare. There is a difference though. The mounting points for the heat shields are quite different. But, if I were to put you two in contact with each other, he could probably modify the second one like he did the first so that your heat shield will bolt right on.

Now, as for the performance gains, I am not sure of how this mod will perform. When I bought my machine, it was already bored, stroked, and modded pretty much to the mas. My bike has the larger diameter pipe as '95 was the only year they did it. My bike also had the larger diameter carb on it too. So, you can either wait for my buddy to get his done (and I am not sure when that will happen), or you can contact Mickey Dunlap @ Four Stroke Tech. I do believe that if you mod the airbox and change the exhaust, the next restrictions are the carb and head pipe.

My machine was set up as a 435 from day one. It was never even ridden as a 350. It went from the showroom floor to FST for mods.
I ended up having to replace my autoclutch this spring. I had two springs give. I don't think this was from too much power, but from many many extensions and contractions. If the spring ends had not torn the pads all to heck, I would have replaced the springs and kept riding. However, no such luck. I ended up buying a whole new one from yamaha.. don't do that, Mickey sells a beefier unit for $50 with trade in.

I have not yet drilled the clutch weights, but am contemplating it. I am not eager to change the exhaust which will give me just a scoch more low end grunt.. I can do this bry drilling the weights though.. free even.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-26-2004, 10:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I wonder if a carb off a Raptor 350 would fit?

Old 05-08-2004, 01:52 AM
Pro Rider

I imagine that it would. The Raptor 350 probably has the same carburetor that the Warrior had.

Old 05-09-2004, 02:18 AM
Pro Rider

the suspension, pipe and a new 36 mm bsr carb were added. i just checked DW.