Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Need Info on 3-wheeler to Missile Bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 03:53 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Info on 3-wheeler to Missile Bike

Hey Guys.

I have learned that there was a kit available to turn a 3-wheel atv into a 2-wheel bike.
They were called "Missile Bikes" I believe.

Are these kits still available? Any websites you could point me to?

I like the idea of turning a atv into a "Fat Wheel" bike for the dunes!

Any help, info, pictures, etc would be greatly appreciated. I can't seem to find anything.

Thanks!
LPP

Old 05-05-2004, 08:12 AM
Pro Rider

I don't think the kits are made anymore. About 8 years ago, I had a Honda 250R three wheeler that was converted and rode it for two years in the dunes. I loved it! I then sold it for more than I bought it for. The guy who bought it was real happy as these conversions are rare.

I had no trouble riding it, but I weighed 250 at the time. Some of my skinnier friends, who were experieced dirtbike riders, rode it and complained of rear wheel swap.

The trouble being the front fork rake of the three wheeler was less than the dirtbikes, creating a shorter wheeelbase.

I was polanning on making a CR500 into a wide wheel dirt bike but moved into quads instead. I would advise you to build your own conversion, or have a competent welder do it, for a CR500. That would be the ultimate two wheel duning machine.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi: I have a Honda 86 250R Three wheeler I also have the Missile kit your are asking about. It had been on the bike at one time. I have not tried to put the kit on because it obviously has the second offset chain missing, one wheel lug is missing, and tire missing. I am not sure what else is missing. I just don't have time to try it out these days, though it looks really cool and might be awesome to ride I am 6 ft tall and concerned about the ride height. I am also concerned about the overall power issue. My bike's engine is hopped up, I can effortlessly pull wheelies in 6th gear and have serious reservations about having only one rear wheel.
The person I bought it from either did not have the manual or did not send it when he shipped it.
It is also my understanding these are not made any more. I recall that the kits were made by an individual some years ago, and has since stopped / gone missing etc.

If I can be of any other help or info, feel free to get back to me. jonathon_dexter@hotmail.com

Old 01-21-2009, 12:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

Update!!!
Ok I got super itchy and went on line and found the mans info. He is still building everything and happily selling the Missle kits. I called him today and he was super cool!!! I bought a new sproket set and all new bearings, and directions for my kit. His name - JOHN KITE, Hours to call Mon - Friday 8 am - 4:30 pm. ish. He is at 405 South West Desmoines, Iowa. 1-515-274-8631.

In the mean time over the last couple of months, I have been shopping at ebay. I bought a Shock and linkage, xtra seat and mounts to go on the new fibre glass. Basically to simplify the swapp. Heavy duty kevlar clutch, New OEM shock boots, OEM Stickers, and OEM Stock tool box.
(non e-bay New purchases) - 15 tooth front sprocket "recommended by John. and Xchains - supposed to be the best on the market. A new standard Ohtsu matching back tire "non flat tracker". and just in case got a sweet enduro tire too, for later. I love the original metalic gold on the stock rims so I am going to see if I can match the paint and re-paint the new swing arm for a snazzier looking match.
In addition I bought a red 4 gallon desert tank, its on the way ; ) , and while looking hear and there found a place that makes new stainless steel braided brake hoses. I also have plans to buy either the 310 or 330 jug kit, now that I have the larger fuel tank. I also got the original 1986 "still in the plastic" shop manual. I plan to make copies and sell them to any one who wants one. Missle is under construction!!!
I will post some pics when I get it done in a month or so. If any one has any questions drop me an e-mail @ jonathon_dexter@hotmail.com

Old 02-21-2009, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider
Started riding ATVs in 1974!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Photos

Though these pics were pretty cool

Old 02-25-2009, 06:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey guys:

Well I have been too busy with work so my missile kit isn't complete but almost. Oh I was looking for a new front Ohtsu tire. They stopped making them. So after an exhaustive 50 + hour search. Good year is now producing and almost Identical front matching tire. I already ordered two they wont be available till March. But hey I got em.

I have been looking for a back up engine. Yeah I know good luck right. Well I spotted a 2002 Cr 250 engine. Since I don't need the front kick with the kitted bike I have inquired with the seller. The bolt pattern looks the same, the plumbing is clearly upgraded, but there is also what looks like a modern adjustable exhaust valve on the front of the jug. Any one have any info? Experiences like this?

PS any one know how to upload my images?