Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

z 400 engine in blaster frame

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 11:28 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default z 400 engine in blaster frame

can you put a z400 engine in a blaster frame and what would you need to do it
thanks

Old 01-21-2005, 06:36 PM
Pro Rider

Why would you want to? A little work to the blaster motor and it will walk all over the Z400. If any put a bigger motor in, one thats at least worth while.

Old 01-21-2005, 08:45 PM
Trailblazer

well what all have you done to yours i was thinkin about fixing my engine but i dunno i want something that will last a while and i can use to race
thanks

Old 01-22-2005, 11:51 AM
Trailblazer

more like a whole lotta work!!

Old 01-22-2005, 06:30 PM
Pro Rider

Not really, under 1000 bucks,

Old 01-23-2005, 02:45 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A Z engine would tear that little Blaster frame to pieces. If you have a Z400 engine sitting around, buy a Z400 frame and put it in that.

Old 01-23-2005, 09:26 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: reconranger
A Z engine would tear that little Blaster frame to pieces. If you have a Z400 engine sitting around, buy a Z400 frame and put it in that.
True. You would have to do some major welding or else the torque would fold it in half.

Old 01-24-2005, 11:41 AM
Range Rover

The blaster motor can be made fast for pretty cheap, tons of performance mods for it.
If you are a light (and good) rider, you will have no trouble keeping up to an average 400.

However, the blaster frame is never going to be that great performance wise. The weight
distribution is too much forward, if you look at a good honda quad, the engine is nice and close
to the rear wheels, giving it lots of traction. The main problem I have had with the blaster is
wheel spin, its very fun to ride but just doesn't put the power to the ground. There are all kind
of extended swingarm kits that give it more travel but this just puts the wheels even further back.

Old 01-24-2005, 11:48 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Kell
The blaster motor can be made fast for pretty cheap, tons of performance mods for it.
If you are a light (and good) rider, you will have no trouble keeping up to an average 400.

However, the blaster frame is never going to be that great performance wise. The weight
distribution is too much forward, if you look at a good honda quad, the engine is nice and close
to the rear wheels, giving it lots of traction. The main problem I have had with the blaster is
wheel spin, its very fun to ride but just doesn't put the power to the ground. There are all kind
of extended swingarm kits that give it more travel but this just puts the wheels even further back.
Have you ever looked at a blaster?!? From the engine forward there is nothing. If anything the engine is to far back and the swinger is wayyyy to short. Adding a nice +2 puts alot more power to the ground while still giving you good balance and traction.

Old 01-24-2005, 04:09 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Shav0
Originally posted by: Kell

Have you ever looked at a blaster?!? From the engine forward there is nothing. If anything the engine is to far back and the swinger is wayyyy to short. Adding a nice +2 puts alot more power to the ground while still giving you good balance and traction.
Yeah, Ive owned a few,
If you scale DOWN a 250r chassis (its is much larger) and you measure it you will see how the weight dist. is different. Space in front of the engine means nothing as you are probably comparing a 4-stroke or a water cooled quad (with radiator) to the small air cooled blaster.

If you do a web search on this there used to be a magazine article or something on how one of the top racers actually shortened his swingarm (and maybe lengthened the a-arms) to get better geometry.

Overall, this is just a small quad, giving you the impression that the swingarm is short.

Hey I'm still a fan of the blaster! Don't take it personally!

Quick Reply: z 400 engine in blaster frame