Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

you think an xr500 will fit in a blaster frame with some cutting.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 06:04 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default you think an xr500 will fit in a blaster frame with some cutting.

You may check a wrecking yard I found a kickstarter that swings way out and it works fine as far as clearing the peg. Those carbs are really rockin your world tho. I was able to raise my tank quite aways 2 1/2" and keep the seat height the same. As long as it doesn't tangle with the steering column it's ok. Maybe if you move the engine forward a few inches it would help? I ended up lowering my frame 2" after trying everything to avoid it but I don't notice it often and it corners nice with the lower center of gravity.

Old 05-12-2005, 07:28 AM
Range Rover

well i got it cut into pieces, i am going to take it to a friend that is going to let me use his equipment to weld it back. i don't think i could have moved it up any because of the A arm brackets and bars.

Old 05-15-2005, 12:05 AM
Range Rover

well we got the frame almost finished. even the exhaust will fit right. i added 4 inches to the frame to make the motor fit right. tomorrow i believe we are going to extend the shock mounts and make the motor mounts. i have a D&D racing muffler and midpipe on the way which i got for just 50 bucks, it should make it run pretty nice.i am going to have to put some taller tires on it since the fenders are 4 inches higher, it looks like it has tiny tires and not that cool looking.

Text

Text

Text

Text

Old 05-15-2005, 06:29 PM
Trailblazer

Thats a way better fit. gotta do what you gotta do right. Nice job I found it easier to support the motor where I wanted it and tack weld the mounts in, that way you can make sure you can get the motor out with no cutting and get them just right. If you have to hog the holes out to bolt it up you'll never keep them tight. I ended up having to make one of the mounts "bolt on" so I can pull the motor. Just my $.02 good luck

Old 05-16-2005, 11:18 PM
Range Rover

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well the frame is almost done, we didn't do all that much on sunday. got it sitting on it's own wheels. it sits about 8-10 inches off the ground. how tall of tires do they make, there is a lot of room in between the tires and the fenders, and i don't like it. also the rear shock is pretty stiff, i may need to move the shock up an inch or two. if not, do they make shocks that are softer, i don't want to get bounced off. the mounts will be next as will the steering. we are going to lift the motor about 1/2 to 1 inch off of the frame. best of all, not much weight is being added. copy and paste these links to see the pics, do you think that this space under the fenders is dumb and you think that bigger tires will correct it.

http://www.pix8.net/pro/pic.php?u=3054v0j4x&i=469015

http://www.pix8.net/pro/pic.php?u=3054v0j4x&i=469024

http://www.pix8.net/pro/pic.php?u=3054v0j4x&i=469031

http://www.pix8.net/pro/pic.php?u=3054v0j4x&i=469045

http://www.pix8.net/pro/pic.php?u=3054v0j4x&i=469051

Old 05-18-2005, 12:21 AM
Trailblazer

The shock is going to seem very stiff until you get the motor in- also you should set your preload so the shock is about 1/4 compressed with you on it and the motor in. I would do that before I made changes in the shock mount You can definatly get bigger tires and wheels -check rocky mountain -in their catalog I think the outside diameter is listed for the wheel and tire combos. You may find with the engine-exhaust- etc. in it doesn't look so bad. Big job huh I know I was surprised when I did mine

Old 05-18-2005, 09:03 PM
Range Rover

how do i set the preload, what do you think of this job. does it look so bad, at least i have plenty of ground clearance for mudding.

Old 05-19-2005, 01:12 AM
Trailblazer

You set the preload with the threaded rings on the shock body, you thread them up or down to adjust the spring tension but don't mess with that until the motor is in and you can sit on it to check. The frame looks good but I don't have any experiance with extentions welded in like that. Just watch the welds these frames flex quite a bit and welds are harder and less flexable than the tube. It is preferable to replace the whole frame member or tube to a gusset point like a cross member or an existing weld. Maybe some one else on the forum has done one this way and can be more help -it looks a little scary to me but I just don't know

Old 05-19-2005, 07:15 AM
Range Rover

if i can find a different frame one day to put the motor on later down the road, i think i will do it. just so it would fit without cutting and welding so much.

Old 05-19-2005, 10:27 PM
Trailblazer

I would finish it and ride it carefully at first. Then you can tell if the motor is good enough to spent more time and money on it

Quick Reply: you think an xr500 will fit in a blaster frame with some cutting.