Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Polaris Starter Removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2000, 01:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it difficult to remove the starter on a Polaris. My dealer is charding $200 + tax, while a rebuilding shop will only charge $75. Someone told me that you require a special tool.

This is my first time on this part of the Forum so forgive me if this has already been talked to death.

Old 10-10-2000, 07:28 PM
Trailblazer

If you are mechanically inclined then I would go for it and save the $125 for something else. This come straight from a tech manual.

[OL][*]Disconnect battery ground cable.[*]Remove components to gain access to recoil housing.[*]Remove housing[*]Remove starter bolts[*]Remove rock guard from bottom of vehicle.[*]Remove starter cable.[*]Use 10mm wrench to remove screws attaching the starter support bracket to the engine.[*]Remove the bolt securing the starter to the magneto housing[*]Remove the starter with bracket attached through the bottom of frame.
[/OL]
Starter installation
[OL][*]Loosely assemble support bracket to starter. Bracket bolts must be loose to allow installation of support bracket to engine bolts.[*]Install a new gasket and place the starter in place.[*]Now follow removal steps in reverse order.
[/OL]
Sorry I can't send you pictures but it looks relatively easy.

Old 10-11-2000, 07:12 AM
Pro Rider

I can spin a wrench . . . so I think I will give it a try.

Does it say anything in the manual about removing the primary clutch? The primary clutch is the one up front , right. If memory serves me correctly is this the one that requires the wheel puller?

Thanks a bunch. I think I have project on my hands tonight.

Old 10-11-2000, 10:55 AM
Trailblazer

It appears that the belt drive is on the oppisite side. It only shows the removal of the chain drive(chain and sprocket together) directly in front of the pull start housing.

If for some reason you do need to remove the clutch then yes you do need a puller.

Hope this helps.