Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

quadzilla -no spark

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 12:33 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quadzilla -no spark

hey guys. i am new to the site and did not do a search because i am hoping to give all the details -sorry. anyway, i just bought a 1987 lt500r quadzilla and it wont run -which is good news because that is why i got it so cheap! so here is the dilemma. the guy i bought it from was riding it and it just shut off. no bang or lock up -it just shut off. so it sat for 7 months because he is no mechanic at all. the place he was storing it is no longer available so i got it. he told me he thought he blew it up, but it seeems to have decent compression and it turns over freely. i pulled the plug and cleaned it up. put it back in and no spark. i cleaned the ignition switch on the bars up to make sure it was not something simple like that. i then checked the plug by putting it in the wire on my crf50. it has plenty of good, clean spark in the 50. i then put it back in the zilla and wiggled the plug wire boot onto the wire a little tighter. it just barely gives enough current to feel it in my fingers while holding the plug, but next to no visable spark at all. so what do you guys think, and how do i go about trouble shooting it. i am very mechanical and have owned bikes my whole life but i am new to 2 strokes and i am no expert on electrical. i am hoping it is just the plug wire although i doubt it would be that simple. i hope it is not a stator or coil or something. give me your 2 cents and let me know where to buy the parts if you could. thanks a lot for any help. by the way, it will probably be on ebay when i get it running. i need something a little more "mild mannered" for the type of riding i do. i'm looking for a 4 stroker and maybe even a 4x4. thanks again.

Old 07-01-2005, 02:43 AM
Trailblazer

Sure sounds like wires or connectors to me. Try pulling the spark plug boot off and checking the center wire lead and pointed probe for corrosion. I've never had a failed ignition component give "some spark" so I would look for worn wires and corroded connections but I'm far from a expert maybe someone else can be more help.

Old 07-01-2005, 09:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

i went ahead and did a search only to find it is probably exactly what i think it is -coil or stator. however i like the prospect of it just being a connection or plug wire. thanks for the input. i will try to take it apart this weekend and clean some stuff up. i will also try to find a new plug wire and boot to try out. i am going to call my local rapist (dealer) and see what they have laying around for it. luckily i have a good relationship with them so i might make out ok. thanks again

Old 07-02-2005, 03:17 PM
Trailblazer

Good luck with that, the stator doesn't need to work for you to get spark. Make sure the wires from the coil and your ground is good I've had trouble there before also your switch. The coil and ignighter are expensive so you want to make sure they are bad before you spend the money. I'm having trouble finding my manual as soon as I do I'll post the ohm ratings you need.