Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

ATC200S with Yamaha 340 twin sled engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 12:39 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATC200S with Yamaha 340 twin sled engine

I have a 340 yamaha engine out of an 1989 Ovation and I am planning on getting a 200s to put this motor on.The engine seems to be a good choice since it is pull start,has a single carb and is air cooled so I dont have to worry about overheating I dont think.(The hottest I usually ever see it around here in summer is like in the 90's rarely,Im in northern NY)The frame on the 200s seems to be very good for this mod since its wide but I was wondering about a couple things.One thing is how could I get the sled engine to have a sprocket on it?Also the rear axle is solidly linked to the back end so is that going to make a problem?What kind of ignition set up would the engine have to have so it worked correctly?My last question is could I make straight pipes if the y pipe doesnt fit into the frame with the engine?Thanks for any help.

Old 03-15-2006, 11:04 PM
Trailblazer

if it isn't already chain drive, then I would sell the engine, and buy something like, say a warrior engine, they have a good bit of power, and you dont have to change out the drive thingamajigger lol. Is it shaft drive? if it is you might can convert to a sproket. well i hope you have good luck on your project, that lil trike is gonna scoot! Your project sounds a bit like mine, exept I am converting a warrior engine and tranny to shaft drive.

Old 03-18-2006, 11:56 PM
Trailblazer

well i dont know if I am going to attempt this now as i cant figure out how to make the sled clutch link to the rear sprocket.Weld a sprocket on the clutch?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]if I do though I might use an artic 500 fc engine instead since it has all of its parts except the lower case is junk.if I could find one on ebay maybe i would use it.The only extra thing I would have to do is make room for twin carbs instead of one.The axle I would get with the three wheeler has got a sprocket on it but I think it is like a 41 or 42 tooth.Is that going to make this thing have like no top end whatsoever?I just hope if I go through all of this it is going to be able to run in the summer.lol.thanks.

Old 03-19-2006, 07:23 PM
SFA
Range Rover

This is defiantly NOT a worthwhile swap. You will end up with an insanely heavy, useless machine. There is not enough room to put that engine in there without butching the crap out of it. Frankenwheelers rarely work out and a lot of them get thrown away after the swapper realizes the amount of work it takes to make it work. Where would the exhaust go ? Who is going to make the exhaust ? Not to mention the lack of rear suspension...you can't go very fast without suspension. I wouldn't bother ruining a 200s for this swap. Just buy an ATC250R if you want a fast three wheeler.