Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

What type of Paul Turner pipe is on my R?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2000, 09:29 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The PT pipe was on my 88 R when I bought it so I dont exactly know much about it. On the side is a tag brazed on that says "89 TRX4RACE" Anyone know anything about this pipe? Is it a low, mid or top end? This bike was set up for MX and does have a lot of bottom so I think it is either a bottom or mid but I dont know for sure.

Old 11-30-2000, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider

I had this pipe, its called the TRX 89 Race pipe, it is a low to mid pipe...I sold it because it signed off way too early on top, and got an LRD..much better.

Old 12-01-2000, 12:59 AM
Pro Rider

It's the same pipe that is one the wife's R. I had originally decided to go with a mid-range port job from a local shop here about 3 years ago. The reccommended pipe was a PTR Mid range pipe. But...I had an extra pipe, the TRX-Race, and the PTR mid range pipes were out of stock everywhere and we were headed for the annual 4th of July trip to the dunes so...I would have to humbly disagree about it signing off too soon. It must be a matter of engine configuration, but her motor pulls extremely well from low to high and does not sign off on top at all. It suprised the heck outta me and I decided to just leave it due to it's very good characteristics. Might be worthy of some more investigation on my end to run the numbers and determine why.

Old 12-01-2000, 09:59 AM
Trailblazer

I would have to agree with Dill on this one. I owned a TRX Race pipe from PT and it had killer bottem to mid but the top was terrible. When the pipe reached it's peak it was just like running into a wall. I bought a LRD Team pipe and ran that for awhile and then upgraded to the Team B pipe. It has the same hit as the PT pipe and also much more over rev.

Old 12-01-2000, 12:53 PM
Pro Rider

a guy I know had the PT Race 89 on his CT 310 motor..same symptoms, signed off way too early. It must just be the portjob on that R of yours Backcountry..my R also has a midrange port job..and with this pipe, it fell flat on its face on topend.

Old 12-01-2000, 04:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had this pipe on my R and for the first 3/4 throttle I absolutely loved it. For the last 1/4 I hated it.

The real trick with this pipe is to short shift and let the engine pull through this pipe's powerband. When I figured out how to ride this pipe, it was a great pipe even in drag races. As soon as your try to overrev it though, people will just walk away from you.

I have since switched to a FMF Fatty pipe. Overall I think it is a better pipe, but its low to mid is not even close to the Paul Turner Race Pipe. Sometimes I consider switching back, but the FMF is an easier pipe to ride.

If I was only riding MX, I would use this pipe for the great pull out of the corners and incredibly smooth power delivery but I ride about everything so the FMF is a little more suited to that.

Old 12-01-2000, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider

Excellent replies gentelmen. I guess that I have an anomalous engine set-up. We ride only in the dunes. It's great to ride as you very well described it pulls silky and strong from the bottom well into the rev's. But again here's where the anomaly is, is that her engine will continue rev'ing STRONGLY well into the 82-8300 RPM range, but I do notice that it begins to sign off shortly thereafter. I'm intriuged why so many of you have had the same experience and then along comes my wife and her motor...hmmm. I occasionally will hop on hers just fart around and maybe head down the hill to race some and I really love hillracing it due to it's characteristics. Another interesting aspect is that I just put a fresh top-end in and used LRD's boost ported Pro-X piston and that addition seemed to help the higher rev's some more again...Any feedback is welcomed, I'm sitting here scratching my head trying to figure it out and really do like the way her motor pulls and I plan to incorporate a similar set-up into my engine schemes for customers.

Old 12-02-2000, 09:29 AM
Trailblazer

BackCountry,
I am wondering if it is your motor package or do you have a fluke for a pipe. The PT pipes are all stamped and maybe something went wrong with the stamping before they caught it. Was it new or used when you bought the pipe? If it was used could someone have shortened the expansion chamber?

Old 12-02-2000, 06:03 PM
Trailblazer

My engine too has gobs of low end and mid but doesnt rev too high. I dont know if it is my porting because I bought it like this but I plan on adding more top end by getting a 38mm carb (I have 36mm on now)and also getting an aftermarket reed cage designed for top end. I think I am going to keep this pipe because I race strictly MX and it is great for pulling the hole shot and torquing around corners. But with a little higher gearing I feel it will be the right set up for MX. Any suggestions?

Old 12-02-2000, 07:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Like I said above, I think this is the best pipe that I have ridden so far. To me, getting the holeshot is the most important thing in a motocross race. Nothing is worse than being burried back in the pack. I always try to set my machine up to be first to the corner, and I think this pipe let me do that due to the silky smooth power delivery. I used to just ride a controlled wheelie through 3 gears, this pipe gets the power to the ground.

You might try getting your 36mm carb taper bored, it will increase your top end but wont affect the bottom or mid. I run a 36mm PJ carb that is taper bored to 37.5mm and I gained a signifigant amount of top end by doing that. Also, changing your gearing to be a little taller may help also. I usually run 14/37 or 14/38 (with 18 inch rear tires) depending on the track.

For my money, this is the best motocross only pipe I have ridden.

Quick Reply: What type of Paul Turner pipe is on my R?