Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

87 lt250r probs

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-1999, 02:26 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

his weekend i was at silver lake, and my engine (on my 87 lt250r) died, i thought i ran out of gas. thats what it sounds/felt like, but then i look and had a half tank left still. The guy that towed me back to the parking lot helped me out a little, we cleaned the carb and airfilter and other small things. But it didnt help, he said i probably had a hole in my piston and to drain the radiator fluid and take head off and look at my piston, well the first thing drain the radiator fluid, i went to drain it and there was about 4-5 ounces in the radiator, then i started to take off the head, and there were only 5 out of 6 bolts, and there was some sort of spillage around the empty hole. My question Here is, what happened?? when id stop for a break, i notices a little smoke coming out between the head and cylinder, i didnt think much of it since it was like 100 degress out. well, what am i going to have to do.. the guy said that i leaned it out, but i didnt know what he meant.. what not mixing the right gas to oil or something?? please help any help is appreciated

Chris (if my signature doesnt work)

------------------

Old 07-26-1999, 02:52 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like you ran all of the coolant out of it. There shouldn't be any leakage from between the head and cylinder. Hot or cold. What has probably happened is that with the small amount of coolant the motor became very hot and the piston began to melt. Most likely it will be apparent on the exhaust side of the piston crown. The piston to cylinder clearance has became too great that the motor simply doesn't want to run for a lack of adequate compression. Will the motor kick over now, if not it's seized, if it will, the piston still needs inspected, and likely replaced.

Old 08-03-1999, 03:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

If it was running and not now, I am with Back Country. If it kicks over you may not need to get it bored, just replace the piston. If it is seized or a hole in the top of the piston from a lean condition, you most likely will need a bore job. Good Luck,

RoostKing 85 LT 250 R Blown up AGAIN!.

Old 08-04-1999, 08:50 PM
Trailblazer

it was just the head gasket.. i lost all my compression.. and a head bolt was gone.. hence the missing coolant.. thanks though

Chris Jack
87 lt250r (runs like $hit most of the time!)