Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Blaster Performance Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-1999, 08:07 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just recently ran across a sweet deal on a 93 Blaster in EXCELLENT shape. It looks as though it has hardly been ridden. It had a pipe and silencer on it when I got it, but I am looking for just a tad more from the bike. I have already changed the tires to Tamers on the rear and Rikens on the front. The bike handles great now and I would like some more power. The next mods I am considering are a K&N filter and either a RAM/Rad valve or just reeds. I have no experience with the RAM or Rad valves. Do they offer significant performance gains over the dual stage reeds? enough to justify a hundred more dollars? I am also open to any other mods as long as they are bolt ons. I don't want to get into extensive motor work such as porting.

Thank You
Derek Osthoff
ATC250R, YFS200, and the sad remains of a 200X

Old 08-20-1999, 09:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Simply buy a set of Aktive or Boyesen reeds(I personally like AKTIVEs), a reed spacer, any aftermarket filter, drill holes in your airbox lid, and re-jet. What brand of pipe is on it? If it is DG, throw it out and buy another brand. The only benefit DG's have over stock is they sound better. Rad and Ram valves don't help that much on a Blaster because they already have a pretty good intake system. Also do not buy FMF reeds, I had a set that broke in my Blaster, and they didn't work much better than stock. Also buy an oil injection blockoff kit and mix your gas. If you hate the brakes you might want to consider a set of Trenga's rear hydraulics. Good choice on tires but you may want to groove your rears. Turf tamers actually have way to much bite in the corners. There are a lot of different grooving patterns that work great. I used Channelock front cut wire cutters to cut the treads off of mine. It now slides through the corners instead of highsiding. Keep another set of fronts around in case it gets muddy because rikens are probably the worst tire for the mud.

------------------
Garrett Lowman; CT240 Blaster, YZ490